Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RC that is giving my six to eight inch groups. the bullet test holds takes the bullets about a 1\16 more than my best shooting K98 which has an excellent crown. The lands at the bore are worn slightly smoother but I don't believe a counterbore is necessary. Do you think a 3/4" ball bearing and with grinding compound would deepen the crown enough to catch some tighter rifling?

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
id get a smith on that issue. a 17 degree target crown will tighten it up. ball bearing will do. id got 'light' and work at it if its a home deal. (less aggressive compound, then range, then do again if no improvement)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would only recrown if the crown area of the barrel is damaged. Nicked etc. You may
just have a worn out barrel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the lands look really good from the throat all the way until the very last bit of the muzzle. When standing both my K98's next to each other you can visibly see the difference in the two. The RC's lands at the crown are clearly not as sharp or distinct.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worked the crown with the ballbearing and grinding compound last night. ad time to Work up four handloads and went outside this afternoon to see what she would do. First three shots measured 2.51" group but ten inches high of POA. On the final round I aimed about two inches lower than the previous three. When it including with the first three it came to be a 3.59" group. I suspect that if I had aimed my last one at the same spot as the previous rounds it would have been two inches closer thus giving me a 4 shot group of 2.82. Regardless, I'm pleased with the results. I believe I'll go just a little deeper on the crown and try again. I also guess I need a taller front sight. I was having the same problem with surplus in regards to the shots being so high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts