Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
Most people switch to the 19# springs for the heavier bullets, myself I use the 21# springs. Wolff is the only one I know of that makes the heavier than stock recoil springs. HTH

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I uncovered a cash of the 120 Gr and 115 gr (which are both actually 116.8 grain) 9x18 hollowpoints. Are those the heavier rounds you mean? Or do heavier ones exist?

This is Bulgarian, and I'm thinking if those are the heavier rounds then perhaps I should switch out springs.

Why'd you choose the 21 #?

So I guess I should with either 19 or 21?

And thanks for the link. Those are inexpensive, how is shipping?

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
Yep those are the ones and there's none heavier than the 120 grain ones. Are the 115 and 120 grain Silver Bear? If the 120 grain is the older ammo with the huge hollow point some guns have trouble feeding them so by all means shoot enough of them to know they feed reliably before using them as a carry round. Some people here like them me for one and my old bulgies doesn't have any problem feed them. One member hated them so bad he threw what was left down a well. I use the 21# spring because i think it lessens reduces the battering the gun takes from the heavier bullets, others use the 19# spring with no problems.
North Bender has a lot of information on the Silver Bear 115 and 120 grain bullets and he'll probably post some info on them. Also look at the stickies at the top of the forum he has a posting there with information on most 9x18 and it's real good information.
If the 120 Grain Silver Bear is the older large cavity hollow point,they got any let?

·
Administrator
7,410 Posts
Just a note on that older Silver Bear 120-grain: the HP openings could be so erraticaly big and the overall lengths so variable that shooting a bit of it really doesn't prove up reliability for the whole batch. I keep mentioning bad QA at the start of the Russian imports - I should get out some of that initial Silver Bear offering and re-post a photo. I'll put that "on the list".

To tell the truth my Bulgarian that I shoot the most with will feed anything with an overall length shorter than 0.980 inches and that means all factory ammunition. Hollow points or FMJ, it don't matter; it's well broken in. I think all Maks can achieve this state of Nirvana if you push enough ammo through them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have both the 120 gr with larger mouth and the 115 gr which I've also read works better and is no longer imported so I'm keeping it on hand and using up the 120 gr HP and the 94 FMJ for practice, keeping the 115 gr HP for carry. Got six mags in my package and over 500 rounds of combined ammo, and one of the old cocking holster keepsakes all for $350. I was really enthralled with the better ammo that is no longer imported.

Sorry, I don't know where any one sells it. It is silver bear, but it all came with the package for me.

I will test both ammo types though due to what I've read. I wish they would import it again, from the ballistic reports I've read the most effective 9x18mm is the 115 gr.

If you have NO problems with the 21 pound spring then I believe I will go with that, I like your reasoning.

I'll be sure to read those stickies.

EDIT: Yes the stickied thread about ammo just makes me get all hot and bothered over my 115 gr HP carry ammo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts