Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'd like to do a bit of reading on the black-powder generation of bolt-action rifles; stuff like the early Mauser designs, Vetterli, Winchester-Hotchkiss, etc.

I'm not too interested in needle-fire guns, my main focus is on metallic cartridge firearms. Ideally I'd like something that looks at both the technical specs and the historical usage of any given model/pattern of blackpowder bolt-action. I'm not too familiar with pre-smokeless stuff and I'd like to broaden my horizons a bit.

Any suggestions?

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,229 Posts
Reactions: Miko.H

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
"The Gun and It's Development" WW Greener. 1910 9th edition.
Chapter 28.
Try Google Books.

Reactions: Miko.H

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello all,
I'd like to do a bit of reading on the black-powder generation of bolt-action rifles; stuff like the early Mauser designs, Vetterli, Winchester-Hotchkiss, etc.

I'm not too interested in needle-fire guns, my main focus is on metallic cartridge firearms. Ideally I'd like something that looks at both the technical specs and the historical usage of any given model/pattern of blackpowder bolt-action. I'm not too familiar with pre-smokeless stuff and I'd like to broaden my horizons a bit.

Any suggestions?
Lots of free internet info on militaryrifles.com. It is not just bolt actions, but the older bolts are in there, probably more single shots than repeaters, but.
There are also specialty books on Mausers, Mannlicher-Steyrs, Enfields (original .303s were compressed black powder), French (Chassepot to FAMAS for example), etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts