Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm working on cleaning up the M1 carbine and I thought I had heard that M1 garands and carbines prefer grease to oil. Is there any truth to this? If so what grease do you guys use?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Grease was optional on the carbine for extreme weather conditions. I use just a touch from the little MilSurp tubs of grease you can easily get. Just a dab on the bolt lugs and in the bolt channel. CLP for the rest.

T

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
I do not worry about grease on a carbine. Application to the selected areas some mention is probably a good thing but they will run fine with good lube like CLP. Proper grease application is much more important on a Garand.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, Mike what is your suggestion for garand grease.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
Thanks guys, Mike what is your suggestion for garand grease.
I bought quite a few of the US issued little cups of grease with the yellow tops about 20 years ago. There are apparently quite a few greases that will meet the specifications. Seems like there was a discussion here recently, and some contraversy will always come up on this issue. Use the US TM/tech manual or CMP recommendations for where to put the grease. The manual is usually about $10.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The original grease for the Garand and M1 Carbine was Lubriplate 120. This is just a brand of Lithium grease.
It's a yellow-white stiff grease.

I suggest going to any hardware, farm, auto, or Walmart store and buy a small tube of Lithium grease.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts