Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recycling a worthy older thread, even though new information has surfaced in the meantime. Please see my follow-up posting. :) Alexander

J Calhoun
Posted - 08/01/2006 : 1:52:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has probably been asked before but I didn't find anything using the search feature.

Is there a good reference book for someone getting into Carcano rifles? Something that has info on the different makers, models, alterations, markings, etc?

Thanks.

NebrHogger
Posted - 08/01/2006 : 2:10:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's 'The Carcano' by Richard Hobbs. However, when I bought my copy last year, he said he was nearly out.

Another book would sure be helpful! If anyone has a work in progress or is contemplating same, I would be glad to donate pics as needed.

Heck, a web site like the Mosin-Nagant folks have would work, too! SW

BG
Posted - 08/05/2006 : 4:36:02 PM
You can ask Dick if he has any left.
Dick Hobbs
[email protected]

If that doesn't work, email me at [email protected] Dick lives about 15 min. from me.
BG

TP
Posted - 08/07/2006 : 4:45:34 PM
Originally posted by NebrHogger
Heck, a web site like the Mosin-Nagant folks have would work, too! SW
I'm surprised our Moderator, Alexander Eichener also known as "Carcano", hasn't mentioned his excellent website, "The Carcano Homepage" at:

http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/

It has been around for a long time and has great information. (Maybe someday Alexander will write "THE" book?

TP
Posted - 08/07/2006 : 4:55:22 PM
Oh, forgot the book, "Il 91" available on-line as a free download at:

http://www.earmi.it/download/libri/91.htm

Yes, it is in Italian but you can struggle through and there is a lot of good information there.

BG
Posted - 08/09/2006 : 11:11:14 PM
I posted some bum info.
Dick Hobbs has changed his INS. It's now [email protected]

NebrHogger
Posted - 08/09/2006 : 11:33:25 PM
The Carcano homepage could use a little expansion in the way of displaying the various stock cartouches and barrel stamps we often discuss here.

Should the moderator choose to do same, I will support that however necessary and would volunteer pics of such examples as I have that might prove of some small interest. I am sure other collectors would also provide information of some scarce & interesting variations.

In this way would the collecting community become better informed. SW

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
1. I have been away (technically: AWOL) for some time, though for what I think very good reason. This explains my silence in this old thread and in many others.

2. I am back because ships are being changed on mid-ocean and every single hand is needed to save as much as possible of the valuable load for posteriority. Even when Bligh still is the admiral (obviously, that does not refer to Vic nor Tuco).

3. Whether I might be willing to put on a moderator's hat again (green, felt, Alpini style), will depend first of all upon the present moderators, who very kindly and altruistically took it upon themselves to jump into the fray (a big THANKS !), secondly upon the site owners, thirdly upon the esteemable readers (the Italian forum has overall been a very kind, helpful, convivial and trouble-free forum, with hardly ever an exception), and fourthly upon my imprevisible whimsy ;-P...

4. The Carcano website would quite a bit profit from a make-over. I can and will do it, but only after the work with the posting transfer is done, after my Kenyan tea project has progressed a bit further (I am not *only* doing guns, mind you), and after I have reviewed Riepe's new Carcano book. But every bit of help before that stage will already now be gladly accepted. Most of all, some more pictures will soon (have to) enter the austere and elegant text-only pages.

5. Dick Hobbs' Carcano was and remains a stellar achievement and a milestone. Its publication designates the time "before and after Hobbs". It is so very easy and tempting to look down on previous achievements as soon as more progress has been made. The Swede collectors are wont to do it all the time, and in a rather unfair way. We should however be aware of our debt and gratitude to Dick, no matter how much further research may go beyond him and may also disprove one or another of his theses. This is normal and good.

6. Wolfgang Riepe has recently a published a new Carcano book; a labour of love, a magnum opus that has immediately set new standards and may become the scale against others will be measured. I am reading it now and will later write an extensive review - thanks to Wolfgang for the review specimen!

7. I have not yet seen the new Italian Carcano book. The past, alas, was characterized not so much by the sigh "Italica sunt, non leguntur...", but rather by "Italici sunt, non scribunt!" That also did begin to change step by step since the 1990s. This newsgroup has its share of esteemable Italian collectors (they just write to little!!), and the newsgroup it.hobby.armi has also played an important role in fostering and fomenting knowledge exchange.

Kindest regards,
your former moderator
Carcano

(Alexander Eichener)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts