Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Silver Bullet Member
2,107 Posts
I recently picked up a nice little Rock River AR, and want to put a nice optic on it. I'm looking for something red dot type rather than a cross hair hunting scope. I plan to use it as a hog gun, at ranges of 50yds-300yds. I really like the ACOG system, but just can't drop that much money. Heck for that much I could buy a new rifle. Hoping to keep under $4-500. Would love to hear what y'all are using, and whether or not you recommend it!

M1 Garand: late '44 Springfield
1903A3: Early '43 Remington
There was discussion of the Vortex Strikefire here recently...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?353676-Vortex-Strikefire

Most guys seem to be pretty happy with them and they are reasonably priced. A couple guys at my private shooting club have these on their AR's and I haven't heard any complaints.

If you're prepared to drop $4-500 as you noted, I believe Eotech offers a few models in that price range and they are generally well regarded in the AR shooter community. The Meprolight M21 can also be found in this price range.

Bushnell makes an "ACOG style" scope for sub $200 but I have no experience with these other than superficially they look kind of like an ACOG.

· Silver Bullet Member
2,107 Posts
Recently I've been impressed by some of the Sightmark line of optics.

For a less expensive reflex sight I've decided to use one of their Ultra Shot units. They also make magnifies that can be use in conjunction with these.
http://www.sightmark.com/sm14000.html

Just my two cents worth.
+1

I have several of the Sightmark Ultra Shot QD (quick detach) reflex sights installed on various AR's, they are far and away superior to anything else I've seen in that price range.

· Silver Bullet Member
2,107 Posts
For a purely SHTF type of application it would be hard to beat the Meprolight M21, they're the primary reflex optic of the Israeli Defense Forces, they're extremely rugged and built to withstand the the most severe operating conditions, they need no batteries ever, there are no internal electronic components to potentially fail, there are no switches, and the unit is always "on" and ready for action. In a truly life or death kind of situation the best optic in the world won't do you much good if a diode burns out, the on-off switch fails, or the batteries die at the most inopportune moment.

· Silver Bullet Member
2,107 Posts
without the dot lit...the scope acts as a tunnel target peep sight close enough to center close hits at 100 + yards...
I've done this many times, BUIS folded down and just sight straight thru the lens with the unit turned off, I can put just about every shot into an 8" bull @ 50 meters just centering the front sight post in the lens, never tried it at 100, but I'm confident I could put most of my shots into a torso sized target like that.

I have an M21 with the Bullseye reticle (said to be the best overall) coming my way, got a great deal on it too. I'll do a review here on the forum once I've had a chance to put it to use. I researched this optic very thoroughly before making the decision to get one, they get rave reviews from the really serious "top end" guys @ M4 Carbine.net

It's probably way over the top for a weekend range warrior like me, as I don't ever expect to find myself locked in life or death mortal combat with anyone, but I had some extra cash to play around with, so I decided to treat myself to something nice. I'm sure it will serve me well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.