Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
22,015 Posts
I think some good choices offered if one evaluates his intended use / expectations.
You can go broke buying optics so buying enough but not buying extreme level is logical.

If I were :

a. Pulling the weapon out of case and firing on the range as the sum total of "use", I'd go the Sightmark route
b. If I were into hard use , high round count, I do the Leupold or Eotech route
c. If I were expecting to really operate , life on the line: ACOG, Eotech.

Aim Point: If it suits you, substitute for Eotech.

There is something that won't go away with optics: buy right the first time is cheaper.
That often gets translated wrong to mean you got to own a Schmidt & Bender optic but
realistically , one can do well with less expensive options.

There is always a Gear Head at the range with the latest optic : learn to ignore their hype and buy
what you need. Optics are not fashion statements .

· Registered
22,015 Posts
For a purely SHTF type of application it would be hard to beat the Meprolight M21, they're the primary reflex optic of the Israeli Defense Forces, they're extremely rugged and built to withstand the the most severe operating conditions, they need no batteries ever, there are no internal electronic components to potentially fail, there are no switches, and the unit is always "on" and ready for action. In a truly life or death kind of situation the best optic in the world won't do you much good if a diode burns out, the on-off switch fails, or the batteries die at the most inopportune moment.
I will pile on this: "When ON is not ON" its good to have a quality back up sight. Not a good thing to have some plastic POS at this moment in time so I recommend a LMT or Yankee Hill or Daniel Defense model. This is only relevant to those who need their gear to be operational and use / train with it that way. If your AR sits in the safe, and not at arms reach, just change out your batteries and don't worry about it. You need not a back up sight and your main inconvenience is changing the battery at the range.

However for the Gear Heads and Walter Mitty Legions: you got no choice but to buy everything on the market.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.