Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a Mak noob and was wondering why I see so many people changing the factory recoil spring to something heavier. I’ve always thought the Russians had a pretty good handle on how to build a reliable, robust gun and that would include knowing what weight spring to use in a blow back pistol. If the Russians thought that 17 pounds was adequate, why change? Particularly since it appears that the majority of the available ammo is somewhat less powerful then that for which the pistol was originally designed.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I have a little over 2k of Spanish .380 that is in the Corbon, '+P' range. It was loaded in the 80's as self-defense ammo and was never meant to be the steady diet of any pistol.

So, I installed a 19# spring in my Arsenal mak when the stock spring wore out. This ammo is hot, even when compared to "full, military power" 9x18 :D (sorry guys, had to do it). So the extra power spring ought to protect my sidearm from any excess wear.

Some guys also like to shoot the heavier bullets in 9x18. And since the mak was designed to fire a 95gr projectile, the extra power spring probably helps there, as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've have several Mak's that are fired alot. Probably more than they would be in military service(carried alot, shot little). The factory springs seem to get weak very fast and the brass is thrown into orbit after several thousand rounds. I do not shoot bullets over 95 gr. but even the 93gr. cast bullets with mild loads after awhile really slam the slide. I use Wolf #19 springs exclusively in the Mak I carry and those that I shoot alot. The #19 doesn't seem to have any problems with standard, hot and target loaded ammo, but brass doesn't fly like it does with the #17. I'm a handloader and shooting the Mak is an exercise in frustration trying to capture flying brass. Just my $.02...............Mike

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
A low orbit is natural with the Makarov's

I use the 19# spring in my CCW Mak, but in my experience as I was looking for a difference in how far the casings were projected but found there was no difference at all with my Makarov's. I suppose it is the nature of the beast. :D

·
Gold Bullet Member
534 Posts
I’m a Mak noob and was wondering why I see so many people changing the factory recoil spring to something heavier. I’ve always thought the Russians had a pretty good handle on how to build a reliable, robust gun and that would include knowing what weight spring to use in a blow back pistol. If the Russians thought that 17 pounds was adequate, why change? Particularly since it appears that the majority of the available ammo is somewhat less powerful then that for which the pistol was originally designed.
I pretty much agree, but the step up from 17 to 19 pounds isn't all that great, I've got two Maks with the 19# spring in them and can just barely tell a difference in recoil and the slide is stiffer to "rack".

One law of nature states that for every action there is an equal re-action ( or something like that ), so I figure that to save pounding the frame in recoil, the frame gets battered a little extra in slide return with a stiffer spring.
I just try to stick to "Mil-Spec" ;) loads and springs.

No data to back that up, Just some Sun evening passing thoughts. :D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
...One law of nature states that for every action there is an equal re-action ( or something like that ), so I figure that to save pounding the frame in recoil, the frame gets battered a little extra in slide return with a stiffer spring.
I just try to stick to "Mil-Spec" ;) loads and springs.

No data to back that up, Just some Sun evening passing thoughts. :D
That is OHM's law for your information. No, maybe it is the law of reciprosity, ahh, I don't know. View attachment 128732 View attachment 128742

·
Gold Bullet Member
534 Posts
That's the reason I've never gone to the 21# springs, I thought it would batter the frame too much slamming forward. I thought the 19# was a good compromise. But let's face it, you have to shoot a Makrov A LOT to wear it out:-0

Tmygun:)
I tried a 21# once, just about ripped my hand off on the rear sight trying to rack the slide,
I figured if it didn't knock the barrel out the front, it would rip the slide stop off on the last round,
I gave it to my neighbor, he cut it into two pieces and replaced the rear springs on his pickup , , upgraded his Ranger to a One Ton Tow Truck.

·
Gold Bullet Member
534 Posts
YAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....stop it, yar killin' me...YAHAHAHAHAH!
hey Les, We can put about 4 of them in your Jeep and jack it up about a foot:D.

Beyond kidding, I did try one ( 21#) and the slide was so stiff that I became concerned about extra wear when the slide shut. I think the 17 to 19 # is about right.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I still have over 400 rounds of Wolf 100 gr. ammo. I mainly shoot the stuff with my Arsenal in which I have the 21 lb. spring. 95 gr. is what I use with the others and I've got 19 lb. springs in them. You're right, the 21 lb. is quite stiff.

I also got a pack of new and original East German springs from makarov.com rated at 18 lbs., according to them.

·
Copper Bullet member
489 Posts
Springs

I have used the 17, 19 and 21 # springs.

I have to agree that the snap back with the stronger spring is a consideration. Recoil is only half of what is going on.

Keep in mind that the stronger springs are serious pain in the backside to put in and remove. I used the edge of my wooden workbench to install the 21# spring. I prefer the 19# since it is an improvement without over doing it.

Your recoil improvement for the 19# and the 21# can be felt, but it is just not that much difference to me.

What I would like to know is who is buying the 15 # reduced power springs???? Would folks who make reduced power loads use one of these?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
...What I would like to know is who is buying the 15 # reduced power springs???? Would folks who make reduced power loads use one of these?
Interesting, do some who do their own loading go for a lighter load with less velocity to perhaps stay in their desired target? Keep in mind I am a completely a newby when it comes to reloading, never done it. I have a friend who uses the low velocity .22 rounds for varmints in his garage. Just askin', nothing better to do on a cold snowy day. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
19 lbs the way to go

I installed the 19 lbs. recoil spring and will not look back....great compromise for recoil and fwd motion slide impact wear.

Go with the 19 and call it a day if you only routinely shoot 95 grain bullets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts