Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys I looking to replace the recoil spring on my Makarov 380 and wanted to replace it with a Wolff spring but when I went to their website it only listed the 9x18 the 380 is 9x17, so would the 19 pound one listed work in my 380? I wanted something a little heaver then the standard issue because I plan on using some fairly hot loads for personal protection. What would you guys recommend Thanks

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/MakarovNF.html

Tom j.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! thanks guys say like I said I really wanted it for the hotter loads like the Megsafe to keep it from battering the frame, but do you think it will still cycle with the lower power practice stuff as well.

Tom j.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Curt....think of it this way....Won't really be a problem if the spring won't allow it to cycle with PRACTICE rounds as long as It's ok for regular rounds, and you know it to be ok. My opinion.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
Professionals I've spoken with have said to replace factory .380 springs for proper 9x18 ones -- understandably I'd say. Obviously Wolff recognizes something there too which explains why they sell asst'd-weight Mak springs. In my opinion the Wolff 19 lb. spring could be OK with at least a .380+P cartridge (like Corbon's) but I personally wouldn't rely on it with run-of-the-mill factory loads. In fact, I'd use them with the 17 lb. option.
Alden

·
Administrator
4,923 Posts
Great! thanks guys say like I said I really wanted it for the hotter loads like the Megsafe to keep it from battering the frame, but do you think it will still cycle with the lower power practice stuff as well.

Tom j.
Don't know what lower powered practice stuff you're talking about but the 19# spring will work alright.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use 19# Wolff recoil springs in all six of my MAKs, including the one I have in .380. The 19# works fine with the .380 ammo. I've shot both Federal American Eagle and S&B ammo in .380. FWIW

·
Registered
481 Posts
FWIW, I use 21# springs in my 9x18 Maks with VERY low power reloads and they function just fine (empty cases only fly a few feet - that's a feature, not a bug.) So I suspect any of the regular Mak springs would work OK with 380 loads. But as others have noted, the cost is minimal to get a set of all 3 and try 'em out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know what lower powered practice stuff you're talking about but the 19# spring will work alright.
Hi well actually I was referring to the non +P stuff when I said practice ammo. I shoot a lot more of that then the Cor-bon and Magsafe loads I carry for my CCW. Say isn't the 17 lb the standard spring weight for the 380? Thanks Again.

Tom j.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use 19# Wolff recoil springs in all six of my MAKs, including the one I have in .380. The 19# works fine with the .380 ammo. I've shot both Federal American Eagle and S&B ammo in .380. FWIW
Thanks just the man I was looking for!!! sending in my order today for the 19lb, don't you just love this gun it's the least expensive gun I own but absolutely one of my favorites!! although I will be retiring it for CCW carry and will be using my new Kel Tec PF9, just love the smaller size and weight but I'm going to refinish and still use the Mak often.

Tom j.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Hi well actually I was referring to the non +P stuff when I said practice ammo. I shoot a lot more of that then the Cor-bon and Magsafe loads I carry for my CCW. Say isn't the 17 lb the standard spring weight for the 380? Thanks Again.

Tom j.
I've never seen any indication that manufacturers used a different weight spring for commercial .380 makarovs vs. the 9x18 caliber ones.

You should be fine. I have an Arsenal .380 with a brand-new 19# spring in it. Haven't been able to test it out yet, but I've never read any reports of them causing function problems with the .380 cal. makarovs.

·
Copper Bullet member
489 Posts
19#

I use a 19# in my 380 mak without issue. I think I put it in shortly after I got it quite some time ago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a little more difficult to rack the slide when you have the 19# recoil spring installed.
Thanks guys well that just about covers everything say one last thing though anyone know or have a link for reducing the trigger pull in double action? I had the link a while back but they changed this website and I've been unable to locate since.

Tom j.

·
Administrator
4,923 Posts
Say I think I read somewhere that it a little more difficult to rack the slide and actually install the 19# spring, any truth to it? Thanks

Tom j.
A little more difficult but I doubt you'll be able to tell much difference. I've got 21# springs in my carry mak, my wife and daughters Miltex SE's and both sons have them in their bulgies and none of them have problems rackin the slide. It's a lot in the how you do it a combination push pull works great.
These are all carry guns and with the exception of mine are loaded with the old CorBon ammo and I use the old Silver Bear HP in mine so I feel a little better with the 21# springs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anyone put Wolffs extra power 18# spring in their CZ82/83? Holy crap!! Until you go out and fire off a few hundred rounds, that thing racks HARD!!
I've got a 19# spring in my one, and only 380 PM, and, although I haven't shot this "wrong caliber" IJ-70 much, it's never had a problem. Also, my favorite target rounds are some pretty light 9x18M handloads with HP38, and all my PMs cycle this ammo fine with the 19# recoil spring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone put Wolffs extra power 18# spring in their CZ82/83? Holy crap!! Until you go out and fire off a few hundred rounds, that thing racks HARD!!
I've got a 19# spring in my one, and only 380 PM, and, although I haven't shot this "wrong caliber" IJ-70 much, it's never had a problem. Also, my favorite target rounds are some pretty light 9x18M handloads with HP38, and all my PMs cycle this ammo fine with the 19# recoil spring.
Does it lighten up a little after you break it in?

Tom j.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.