Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of a Cleveland Mount that came with a 1914 Hotchkiss I recently purchased. I was curious if anyone knew what the purpose of this part on the cradle was for (circled in red in the last picture).. it has a corresponding handle to tighten/loosen on the bottom... Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
AZG3,

Congrats! That is very cool set-up!

As this is a 360 degree set-up and you already have "stops" on either side of the traversing ring to limit the amount of traverse, it would seems that this lever wouldn't serve to limit traverse when the tripod was set-up in place.

Any chance it could somehow prevent the MG from rotating if the mount were collapsed for transporting with the MG still mounted in the cradle? I've never examined one up close, but it has the "appearance" of some type of friction fit restrictor when looking at that protrusion it seems to be in contact with inside the traversing ring.

Type 96 LMG

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just don't see anything that would be in contact with that area for it to affect... there are so few pictures of these mounts with guns on them it makes it difficult...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it out for a test fire today and it wouldn't feed right... I could put a round in the chamber and it would fire, extract, and eject perfectly... will have to get my bolt to Bob for some work...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts