Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the recent psl's for quality and finish? I keep seeing them, just curious if they have ever corrected the quality issues they were having for awhile......Anyone gotten one recently that was good?

I had one, sometimes think about replacing it......

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am torn, because I like them. But I do not like the limit on ammo. ONLY light ball. I would pick up a mosin sniper, but the barrels on a lot of those are shot out to the point you can't get great accuracy out of them. I don't know, I am also searching for a good underfolder, but picking up a psl would be cool. The first one I had was good, I just sold it without thinking much about it. Now I kind of regret it.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
I am torn, because I like them. But I do not like the limit on ammo. ONLY light ball. I would pick up a mosin sniper, but the barrels on a lot of those are shot out to the point you can't get great accuracy out of them. I don't know, I am also searching for a good underfolder, but picking up a psl would be cool. The first one I had was good, I just sold it without thinking much about it. Now I kind of regret it.
Get Saiga 308 with AK magazine release (not Series 100) and that solves all your problems.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eh, I have standardized on 8mm and 7.62x54r.....Want to keep it at those calibers. I do like psl's.....They do seem like really cool rifles, just a bit nerve racking buying a rifle for 750 bucks with issues. And I would like a polish or yugo underfolder.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
yeah, just trying to find one though. One I may try to pick up on gunbroker, but not if it climbs too far above 700.
You know... once you get into 700 dollar range, you might consider a couple other things like SVT-40 (x54R), Hakim (8 mm), FN-49 (8 mm version).

There is Chinese semi-auto M14 copy in local store, they want 1100 for it, nuts.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I'd like an fn-49. ALMOST got one at a gunshow about 1.5 years ago. Went back for it, and it was gone. 450 for a great 49.....Looked brand new. Egyptian 8mm.....

But I want an ak. The underfolders are pretty cool, something tells me I will end up getting an underfolder, and scoping my 2nd m48A.....I have three, the unissed 48A my wife got me, a great condition m48BO I am selling, and my shooter m48A thats likely headed for some kind of scope settup.....In the end I would prefer a bolt for a scope gun anyway.....

G

·
8mm ammo will go fast and one day will go back to how it was years ago .lots of hungry rifles and no source of ammo .7.62x54r is a bit more plentiful and cheap .. Centerfire had PSL's and clasic arms .PSL's problematic? I havent heard them being problematic and have owned about 3 of them I think . I Never had a problem .Dont feed them heavy ball ammo and stay away from hungarian yellow tip especially and they are great. They are not easy to compair to a bolt action hunting rifle like a BAR and dont compair .Its a diffrent animal all together. I cant find reason to steer you away from one like these other guys unless you have a false sence of what the rifles capabilitys are. . But I am not a pureist when it comes to sniper type rifles . It is what it is, and it fills its nitch nicely . Its not a tack driver .but I would not consider any m48's ,egyptian or other FN49's ,SVT's or others to be any more or less accurate and I have owned them all and then some . It stands its ground with the others .except the more tuned sniper rifles and hunting rifles that promise much better accuracy.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,552 Posts
Get the PSL54C. You won't regret it.

When trying to decide which Kalashnikov to take to the range, this is the one I favor 90% of the time. It's fun, accurate, and relatively inexpensive to shoot.

And for another $145 you can equip it with a 10x PSOP scope that significantly increases the fun factor. :)

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
8mm ammo will go fast and one day will go back to how it was years ago .lots of hungry rifles and no source of ammo .7.62x54r is a bit more plentiful and cheap .. Centerfire had PSL's and clasic arms .PSL's problematic? I havent heard them being problematic and have owned about 3 of them I think . I Never had a problem .Dont feed them heavy ball ammo and stay away from hungarian yellow tip especially and they are great. They are not easy to compair to a bolt action hunting rifle like a BAR and dont compair .Its a diffrent animal all together. I cant find reason to steer you away from one like these other guys unless you have a false sence of what the rifles capabilitys are. . But I am not a pureist when it comes to sniper type rifles . It is what it is, and it fills its nitch nicely . Its not a tack driver .but I would not consider any m48's ,egyptian or other FN49's ,SVT's or others to be any more or less accurate and I have owned them all and then some . It stands its ground with the others .except the more tuned sniper rifles and hunting rifles that promise much better accuracy.
BAR is not a bolt action. BAR is semi-auto rifle just like PSL. My point is the price and marketing. All the stuff military looking is going through the roof. BAR is not military looking, has about 5 round detachable magazine and takes conventional optics. While PSL might be pushed beyond any reasonable price by politics, BAR remains a sleeper in 800-900 range, I think used BARs went for 600-700 dollars. Just an option if you looking for long range semi-auto rifle.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm.....I don't know. The one I had was nice.....but eventually the light ball cheap ammo will dry up, then all it will be will be even more rare 7.62, as it was not previously an american caliber.

Maybe I will. But I would still want an underfolder.....And then I would have to sell the YUGO RPK, which I have not really entertained. Its a good rifle. I want at least one AK, and would really prefer an underfolder.....I don't know. If only the underfolders would go to 500 again.....Something tells me even if we do see more aks for awhile, we won't see many more yugos, so my m72 will be worth alot in the future. Don't really want to sell it yet.

Then again, the psl is not high cap. Surely it would not be on a list of banned weapons.....Like an ak would. So I could always then get one down the road.

I do think psl's are a bit overpriced. The gun with 5 mags is close to 900 bucks...

G

·
BAR is not a bolt action. BAR is semi-auto rifle just like PSL. My point is the price and marketing. All the stuff military looking is going through the roof. BAR is not military looking, has about 5 round detachable magazine and takes conventional optics. While PSL might be pushed beyond any reasonable price by politics, BAR remains a sleeper in 800-900 range, I think used BARs went for 600-700 dollars. Just an option if you looking for long range semi-auto rifle.
Sorry I think of BAR as a large 30/06 mag fed beauty. Not exactly so . It kinda became some commercial rifle not meeting what the original BAR my daddy carried in WW2 ment . I do own a BAR for deer hunting . I personaly would go with a SAKO or remington m24 bolt action for accuracy and forget the BAR alltogether . But its all apples and oranges .

G

·
hmmm.....I don't know. The one I had was nice.....but eventually the light ball cheap ammo will dry up, then all it will be will be even more rare 7.62, as it was not previously an american caliber.

Maybe I will. But I would still want an underfolder.....And then I would have to sell the YUGO RPK, which I have not really entertained. Its a good rifle. I want at least one AK, and would really prefer an underfolder.....I don't know. If only the underfolders would go to 500 again.....Something tells me even if we do see more aks for awhile, we won't see many more yugos, so my m72 will be worth alot in the future. Don't really want to sell it yet.

Then again, the psl is not high cap. Surely it would not be on a list of banned weapons.....Like an ak would. So I could always then get one down the road.

I do think psl's are a bit overpriced. The gun with 5 mags is close to 900 bucks...
Kill 2 birds with one stone ..LOL yugo RPK underfolder .

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.