Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally received a Finnish marked M96 today--I've been wanting one for a while. Yesterday, two rifles from Poulin's arrived as well--an 1895 Chatellerault and an 1896 Tula. The M96 has a threaded barrel and one Crown stamped on the grip. Bolt, floor plate and cleaning rod are mismatch. Bolt has the correct serial number etched into the handle--something I've never seen before. The rifle is still packed in grease, so I don't know if this was done prior to import.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chatellerault

The Chatellerault is SA marked. Sits in a Russian/Finn spliced stock. The left side of the stock has numbers stamped on the butt as well as a "Y". The comb of the stock has an odd shaped "U" on top. I've seen this before on stocks. There is a small "T" on the barrel under the serial number. It may be hard to see in the photos. I could not find any import marks on the rifle. There is also an "X" stamped on the stock near the trigger guard. The front band looks like it may have been a very early one that is missing the swivel--if that's possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 1896 Tula was listed as being an 1896 Izhevsk. The autcion stated that the receiver had "G3" stamped on it. I was pretty excited to look this one over. I had just assumed it was an Izhevsk when I unwrapped it, and wondered why the Imperial Eagles looked so odd for an Izhevsk. I honestly thought the receiver may have been swapped because the Eagle looked like a Tula--took me a few minutes to finally figure out the rifle was a Tula :rolleyes:. Anyway, for some reason, the side of the receiver has "2222" stamped on it. Receiver does have a "G3" marking as well. "X" mark on barrel. Stock is Westinghouse. Apparently, a soldier carved their initials into the stock. The rear sight base is not numbered on the left side and has Finnish graduations on the right. This rifle does not have an import mark that I could find. Both rifles have Finn matched bolts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty happy with these. As a bonus, I just sold my "old" M96 on Gynbroker today. So, that will help to foot the bill for the new buys.
I read that 1924 was a low production year for the M96's, so that's a little bonus. I didn't know that when i got it. Just glad to finally get one used in Finland. The Chatellerault is also a lower production year. 1896 Tula's seem to be fairly common, at least for 1890 era Mosins. I'm curious about the "G3" on the Tula. I've seen it before on M91's captured during the Great War.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Congrats on the new additions Bill. Make sure you don't snatch them all up. Save some for the rest of us. ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Congrats on the new additions Bill. Make sure you don't snatch them all up. Save some for the rest of us. ;)
Well, in this particular case I guess my name was "the rest of us." ;)

A fine pair of rifles, Bill. Glad to see they went to a good home. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.