Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one 0 on the left looks like it belongs to the 00 or 000 school prefix stamp family, but having it as a single 0 seems a little strange to me. And the stamp to the right of it looks almost Siamese.

Any clue what this is? The rifle itself and more pics can be found here.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
That is strange indeed. The 0 is obvious, but what is the character to its right?

From the other markings on this rifle as pictured in the auction It is clearly a rifle sent to the Ministry of Education to be forwarded to a school. Perhaps this is just a botched stamping of the second 0????

Frank

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I zoomed in as much as possible, but I can't make anything out. I can't get its Siamese-ness out of my mind.

Frank, I know the usual 00 and 000 for educational usage, but I don't recall a single 0, so maybe your theory of a botched stamp holds up. I was hoping someone here ended up with that rifle and could share more info.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is strange indeed. The 0 is obvious, but what is the character to its right?

From the other markings on this rifle as pictured in the auction It is clearly a rifle sent to the Ministry of Education to be forwarded to a school. Perhaps this is just a botched stamping of the second 0????

Frank
Frank, if you open the auction link and go to photo #14, there is another angle of that mystery stamp.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,331 Posts
here is the original picture.I had a hard time getting a clear picture of the SN
Bumper Wood Gas Cylinder Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I till cannot make it out. Perhaps an S, but maybe an 8.

S for Seinen?????

Frank

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,331 Posts
I took another picture of it and it is a clearer
Wood Office equipment Gas Office supplies Font

Reactions: Kchapmansc

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,220 Posts
At that magnification I see some similarities to the numeral '8.' However, I'm not used to seeing the '8' formed that way on Japanese gear. Kevin, I don't think you made much of an error in not bidding higher.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At that magnification I see some similarities to the numeral '8.' However, I'm not used to seeing the '8' formed that way on Japanese gear. Kevin, I don't think you made much of an error in not bidding higher.
Thanks for the note, Fred. I agree, it does share an 8 shape. After that photo, I don't think it's botched stamping attempt. I think it is its own thing, but I have no idea what. I looked through my Siamese books, but don't see a similar character.

The fact that there's a single 0 is just as much a mystery to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts