Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Holy cow! An 1891 Sestroyetsk receiver! That is the first time I ever saw that! Thanks for posting. I've got a B barrel but on a 1910 Izhevsk receiver.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I pulled apart a recently purchased M39 "B" barreled Mosin rifle. To my surprise the date on the tang was a very clearly marked 1891 date which is certainly the earliest dated receiver I have seen.
Somehow I doubt anyone will find one dated earlier then 1891...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
yup makes my 1896 sesty receiver look like a youngster too

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
rick, its 91, it looks just like my 96 sesty tang stamp with the arrow between the digits

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
Is it just me..........I don't see it as 1891
only other option is a 1911-1917 date with a badly (or not) struck last number. be interesting to see if it has the extra hole the early ones had. y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Platinum Bullet member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A bit strange --- The date on the tang is clearly a 9 and a 1, it is even more obvious when looking at the tang with a small light, AND there ISN'T a hole like in the picture from PZ93C.
According to Lapin's book the 9 and 1 indicate the date of 1891. Lapin's book also has a few errors (like any other military firearms book so I am certainly not saying this as a criticism) , such as stating that the earliest production of the M91 was in 1892. Ted's site has a picture of a Mosin dated 1891 on the top of the barrel, so there were definately M91's produced in that year. I just think finding a receiver dated in the first year of production is pretty dang cool.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,204 Posts
Looks like I am going to have to be the one to rain on the parade.

According to my references, Sestroyetsk didn't begin making the M1891 rifles until 1892. Production ran from 1892 to 1918. That would place the tang somewhere between 1910 and 1918.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Looks like I am going to have to be the one to rain on the parade.

According to my references, Sestroyetsk didn't begin making the M1891 rifles until 1892. Production ran from 1892 to 1918. That would place the tang somewhere between 1910 and 1918.
First what are your references?
Second according to most references, Tula and Izhevsk didn't make rifles until 1892 either and some even say they used tooling from Chatellerault! I have personally had 91 dated Tula and Izhesk rifles in my hands. Your references are most likely wrong.
Joe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts