Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
481 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. The Duracoat thread was one I remembered reading (several times) recently and have hopes of applying someday soon, so I was particularly interested in saving it. Copying the text from the old board to a new thread was simple, following the suggestions Slim Tim made in an earlier post on this thread.

BUT . . . it was a decidedly nontrivial exercise to move the 12 photos. It took me an age to do it, and I'm wondering if there is a simpler method.

What I did was (1) select each photo (separately) in the thread on the old board and Save As to a file on my computer. THEN (2) I went into Photoshop and downsized each image to what I thought might be a small enough size to not upset the photo police on this new board (originals were 1-2MB each, while my small ones were all 100K or smaller.) I did no other manipulation, but THEN (3) did save the new, smaller images to another folder on my computer. THEN (4) upload each image to Photobucket. THEN (5) get the name/link for each image in Photobucket and copy it into the new thread here. (I kept the old thread open to make sure the images went in the right place in the new thread - thank heaven for the multi-tab browsing ability of Firefox that let me keep the old thread, new thread and Photobucket all open at the same time.) After previewing to be sure things came through, I just saved the new thread.

Is there any shorter way to get images off the web and into a thread here? The only thing I saw as an option to insert an image was to enter a link to another web site.

Also, some of the images in the original post were thumbnails. I sized all of the images down pretty small in Photoshop, but they all display as basically full width images in the posting. Is there a way to control this? Is it done within the thread, or is there something you do to the image itself?

I'm slowly going back through the old threads to see if there are others that would be of continuing interest to me, so I'd like to know if there's a simpler way in case I have to bring over another thread, and others might find it useful too.

· Registered
481 Posts
The threads I've brought over and labeled "Archived Post" are from the most recent 30 pages of the old forum (pages 1-30.) I agree that the mainspring adjustment thread would be another good one to save, but I just ran out of time. If I had gotten that far I know I would have saved it too, because I've used the technique myself.

When I get some more time I'll keep looking farther back, unless somebody else can come up with it in the meantime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.