Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an "Ugly" 1895 Chilean 7x57, mismatched bent bolt and front sight canted to about 11:00. I picked it up for $20.00 in the 80's to hang over our summer cabins fireplace, she who must be obeyed vetoed that idea...
So its been sitting behind the water heater mostly forgotten until my son asked for it. I turned it into a father son project and we've just completed the detail strip to see what we have to work with. We can take care of most of the pitting but the bore is dark and the groves actually look eroded near the breech with a cupping between the lands.
Has anyone tried reboring to 8mm? If feasible about how much will a job like that cost vs. a re-barrel job? Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Think reboring to 8x57 mauser in an 1895 vintage rifle just might be too much for the old girl. While U.S. made 8mm is loaded down to lower pressures the europeans load the 8mm right up there. If you could locate a swedish model 38 barrel in 6.5x55 swedish mauser you'd probably have a much more accurate rifle, recoil would be comparable to the 7mm and the barrels are out there. Check with sarco, samco, numrich and some of the other parts houses.
Should you not want a 6,5x55 then your choices are limited. Rebarrel to 7mm,
257 roberts, 300 savage and maybe 35 remington with 1x14 twist barrel. The four cartridges, 5 actually all fall within the recommended pressure range for the 1895 action. Hope this helps. Frank

·
Registered
827 Posts
Doesn't look like anything is cost effective, either rebarrel or bore out. Have you tried out 7mm ammo to see if it shoots accurately at all? Sometimes there are surprises, although usually in the wrong direction (good looking barrels that won't hit the broad side of a barn).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy, am I living in the past:eek:... I left the biz in the late 80's and had no idea what things cost now, I bought my AR-15 in 75 for $195.00. I was just thinking 8mm because I have 2 Hakims and an FN-49 in 7.92x57, lots of brass, a Lyman 8mm single cavity mold and dies to reload for it. I thought we'd load mild cast lead to feed it.
I think we'll just continue the project and then see how it shoots. I've got a 7mm mold so if it doesn't like jacketed we'll see how it takes to cast lead. Plan B if that doesn't work will be to try to find another 95 barrel in 7x57.
Thanks for the input!
Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
One other consideration to think about. The present day 4140 barrel steel is a much safer bet for a pressure vessel than the steel used when that rifle was made. You can have a catastrophic barrel failure and the bolt integrity remain secure.
Barrel failures generally occur at 3 or 9 o'clock and if your hand is up there holding forend you are likely to lose fingers. The old barrel will make great stock for pillar beddng.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.