Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Type 30 trainer with a smooth bore barrel. The serial number is 1957and the receiver, stock, hand guard, upper and lower tang extensions, trigger guard, trigger, magazine well liner, and upper band all have matching numbers. The stock has three different numbers in the barrel channel with 2 numbers being earlier than the matching number and the hand guard looks to be over stamped on earlier numbers. The bolt and magazine floor plate do not match and no other parts are serialized. I've read that many trainers were made from early Type 30's. This does not look like a cast receiver and the number of serialized parts leads me to believe this is a converted rifle. What do the experts think? The rifle also came with a nice brass muzzle cover that rotates to close a band behind the front sight base. The biggest down side is that it is missing the bolt head. Does anyone know where i could find a Type 30 bolt head? Finally, is this a good candidate to return to shooting form by re-barreling and would a Type 38 rifle barrel do the job? Some pictures follow.

Vern

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Bolt heads are hard to find and expensive. A barrel will be tough to find too.

Your rifle is a collectable variety in itself, I'd leave it alone. Nice cover too.

If you want a shooter, I'm sure you can find one, and it would be likely cheaper than a bolt head and barrel separately; but a T 38 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem. I'm still puzzled about the serial number on this. I found a web site that said they ground off the original mum and serial number when they were converted to trainers. But the serial numbers on the tang extensions have me confused. Those are stamped deeply, and if original numbers had been ground off extensions would not fit the wood properly. I can't believe they replaced the extensions when they made the conversions.

Vern

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
I assume the receiver has been restamped "blank ammunition only". Honecutt's book (page172) mentions restamping the serial numbers. Mine is 9343.They made about 10,000 of these, so it is unique as it is.

There are type 30 rifles out there that turn up from time to time. It might be better to keep the training rifle as it is, and keep your eye out for a shooter T-30. (They just aren't making either of these anymore)

Dean (the other one)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
No problem. I'm still puzzled about the serial number on this. I found a web site that said they ground off the original mum and serial number when they were converted to trainers. But the serial numbers on the tang extensions have me confused. Those are stamped deeply, and if original numbers had been ground off extensions would not fit the wood properly. I can't believe they replaced the extensions when they made the conversions.

Vern
I believe it is only the original serial number that was removed. The assembly numbers elsewhere, like the tangs would not have been changed, they might in fact have been put back with the original receiver/stock. Check the ass. number under the receiver and the tangs to see if it is the same.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
The T-30 muzzle cover is a very nice & difficult item to find. It will only fit the T-30 and T-35 rifle due to the shorter "snout" they have compared to the T-38.
I bought mine thinking it was an early T-38 cover & realized what it was when it didn't fit a T-38.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Man, I'd really like to find a type 30 of ANY kind, shooter or not. I guess I don't go to enough gunshows....
Your best bet is to watch the trader here, or the online auctions.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
03Man - The numbers on the tang extensions are matching serial numbers not assembly numbers. That is why I'm puzzled. Those numbers match the trainer serial number, but clearly are original numbers because grinding off old numbers would have destroyed the metal to wood fit of the parts. See the pictures.

Vern

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
03Man - The numbers on the tang extensions are matching serial numbers not assembly numbers. That is why I'm puzzled. Those numbers match the trainer serial number, but clearly are original numbers because grinding off old numbers would have destroyed the metal to wood fit of the parts. See the pictures.

Vern
Must have all been new and numbered to match the receiver; the originals would have an assembly number with a kanji and one to 3 arabic numbers. Looks like yours also got new wood at the time of conversion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.