Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some super cheap ($10) barreled receivers yesterday and the tragedy is that the good one (Finn capture Tula '36) has holes in the receiver. But...I got a second Tula '36 with a good receiver.

How hard is it to swap barrels? Anyone ever try? Can I do it at home with limited tools?

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Only info I got was that some were nearly impossible, and the barrels had to be cut down to stubs and a relieving cut made.

·
Registered
323 Posts
the barrels are a bear to get off. i would soak them in kroil for at least a week & make a relief cut about 1/16" onfront of the receiver. if your looking to swap barrels between receivers you will need to have a barrel bushing made for a 4 screw barrel vise, the smaller b-square type will not hold.
you can use a standard mauser action wrench with a shim made from 1/8"thk flatbar to reduce the head down to the same size as the mosins front ring. lothar walther makes 7.62x54r barrels chambered & threaded for the mosin. pacific tool also has 6.3x53r & 9.3x53r reamers for the finnish wildcats.
there are some really nice mosin sporters at http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=82

·
Registered
85 Posts
The holes in the side of the receiver are mounting holes for a scope mount. That barrel/receiver came off of a sniper. It is fine to shoot. You just need to get a mount of have the holes welded up as was done by the Soviet arsenals when converting a sniper back to a non-sniper rifle.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I rebarrelled some.

It is like a typical Mauser re barrel:
Drill and tap for scope
Weld bolt handle
Cut barrel threads
Cut chamber
glass bed the barrelled action into the stock
Do a trigger job

Plus it has the additional tasks:
Cut bolt face for larger rim
Cut the breech face for 91/30 extractor relief
Learn to live with a single shot, or do more than I did.

In that sense, the size of the job is like converting a Mauser to 300 Win mag that need changes to:
The magazine box length
The feed lips
The bolt face
The extractor

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,155 Posts
No problem with correct tools. The common bench vise and pipe wrench method usually a) doesn't work, b) destroys barrel, receiver, vise and wrench C) gets someone hurt in process.

Hydraulic press and properly made inserts and wrench are a must. Small amount of heat helps;

·
Registered
134 Posts
any one have the thread pitch ? juss ordered reamers to a couple target guns .. i seen in a guns and ammo mag awhile some finnish sniper converted one to 300 win mag and moved the bolt handle way back anyone have any ideas ?

·
Read Only
4,675 Posts
any one have the thread pitch ? juss ordered reamers to a couple target guns .. i seen in a guns and ammo mag awhile some finnish sniper converted one to 300 win mag and moved the bolt handle way back anyone have any ideas ?
There's previous posting on this forum, if you'll search for it. Feller did a pretty job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re-barrel M-N

Please read ....then re-read the reply by CLARK. Then add a $ after each step. If you are not capable of doing the work for free then you will PAY for someone to do it for you.

Many (most, even) M-N barrels seem stuck and the removal process invariably damages the barrel or action. "IF" you are successful at removing a barrel and end up with a good action then put on a good barrel in 7.62x54R or a custom wildcat of your choice. You may end up with the worlds ugliest rifle in the caliber of your choice, and an empty wallet. Some guys are using modified Remington 700 barrels, since the threads nearly fit.

I been told it might be a good idea to spend your money on a choice M-N and have something to brag about than to have cash tied up in a "money-pit" project. BUT, if you have the fever like me, and many others, there ain't no cure and the learning curve hasn't been invented that will convince me otherwise.

Cheers,

squib

1 - 9 of 9 Posts