Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the old girl to where I like her. Got the draws snugged up nice, took 2 weeks of patience, got the headspace taken care of, had a couple of extra bolt heads. And now the purists can put down the pitchforks and the mowing sythe because I have to admit to cleaning a whole lot of crud off the stock and refreshing it with two applications of raw linseed oil. No toxic acids, industrial grinders, or sand paper was used in this process. This is going to be shot, not kept in a Hellmans Mayonaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls front porch (little Johnny Carson there)

The bore is quite nice and I have a total of $400 invested in her. I don't usually talk about that part but with the price escalations I just wanted to show that they are still out there. Maybe needing a little elbow grease but they are out there.

We are getting down to under a foot of snow here so the walk to the range target holders is getting possible.

I never really mastered the whole photo thing but these are kind of OK.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any guides to the draw work you did?
I just kinda followed the information on the forum but did not do the radical surgery. Everything looked good, just loose fitting. I measured the width and depth of things (trigger and magazine release slots) and I fashioned two pieces of walnut to affix to that area and then used real fine sand paper twisted around a flat piece of hardwood to keep taking it down slowly until it finally appeared to be a nice snug fit. Took a while but I was in no hurry. Tiny bit off, check it, tiny bit off, check it, and so on. Depending on the original fit one of the fellows has a good idea about using thin metal, soda can or beer can, to fashion something that will snug up both sides. This is ala Mosin Nagant sniper scopes and their weird fitment. Just study it for a while, take your time, don't remove much at a time and it will work out. Now, if it is all busted up in the draws, that is a different story.

Reactions: patteraw
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.