Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unsure on the necessity of removal, but taking apart for the first time, one of my 99s. Barrel/receiver out of stock, and generally looks good, but there is clear evidence of rust on the rear sight, wings, etc., as well as around the sight base tube between tube and barrel - so I'd like to get under it to inspect it.....

O.K., I get the two screws - off they come - that was the easy part. It appears that the spring is dovetailed into the base and looks like it merely needs to slide forward and out - not exactly wanting to move though so got some Kroil in there overnight. Am I on the right track here??

So the sight base looks to me like it is just slipped onto the barrel - does removing the spring reveal more secrets to how it is attached?? I'm concerned that if I am successsful in getting it off, that I won't be able to realign the sights, or is that a "built-in" feature of the sight base tube?? In uncharted waters for me - any advice/experience appreciated!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morning Dieter:
The rear sight base is a tight fit on the barrel. The rear base screw secures it in alignment as there is a guide hole in the barrel into which the lower end of the screw fits into. Unless you have major pitting once you remove the spring I would not disturb the sight base.
The fit between base and barrel is at least a press fit or one of those where you heat the base and chill the barrel. To remove the base I end up having to pound with a good 2 pound hammer and a bucking bar that has a wedge angle, you don't have a lot of surface to drive against the back of the base. That surface always ends up upset, even more so when you reassemble and have to knock the base around to line up the rear screw hole with the hole in the barrel.
The fit is so tight that I don't think you have to worry about corrosion, just clean the area expossed by the removal of the spring and you will be ok.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All right, so I've got the entire ladder/wings/etc. all off, but the spring doesn't want to budge - does the spring want to be moved towards the front sight, or driven towards the receiver (or does it matter)?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Sight spring

Knock it toward the front sight. Warning - its very hard for a first timer to get it back on right. riceone.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heck, it's hard enough for this first timer to get it off!!! If I can't get it to reasonably budge after another night's soak in Kroil, it'll stay where it's at....

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
Hurry - museums are waiting for this rifle! I just don't get something here, obviously. :(

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Like they said, Don't do it. No need to take it off. Oil it, clean it. Leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Can you "shrink" a gun barrel in dry ice? to ease re-assembly..I do that all the time to fit sleeves into engine blocks, if the fit is too snug pack the sleeve in dry ice for a bit and it drops right in,will the same process work for a barrel?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Davef,
Theoretically it is the same and would work, problem is the diameter of the bbl is small, so too is the shrinkage, limiting the possible advantage.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm taking the advice and leaving well enough alone on the sight spring and especially the sight base tube. I figured if the spring would move with a minimum of force/effort, so be it. It doesn't want to go anywhere so it can stay where it's at and I'll just let the oil get in there and hopefully do it's thing.

Adogs - I was just trying to address as much of the rifle as possible to squelch any underlying issues with the metal and get some preservation action going on in there. This rifle (in my opinion) was somewhat neglected - significantly pitted bore and throat/chamber too, lots of rust that wasn't evident just by looking at the thing. I wanted to uproot as much as I could to better preserve this thing....then I'll donate it to a museum (know any good ones?? ;) )

Remember, I'm still a freshman here - so I'm still learning what's necessary and what's not necessary, thanks to youze guys!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,025 Posts
I know & I do tend to be a bit abrasive sometimes. What the heck ,we all love the same stuff - just in different ways! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts