Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all!

I recently acquired a Swedish M96 rear sight leaf from a seller in Australia. It is mated by roll pin to a non-Swede sight base. The base kind of looks like a K98 rear sight base, but I can't reliably place it. It does not have a barrel sleeve, and some solder is still visible on the underside of the base. One side of the base is stamped O, the other side is stamped with an FA over what looks like roman numeral three, like this:

FA
III

Lastly, there is a T stamped on the top rear of the sight base. Any ideas on what it originally belonged to? If you guys need pictures I can snag some when I get home, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling first if I could! As always, looking forward to your replies.

· Administrator
10,385 Posts
Base is a cut down SMLE No1Mk3* from WWII
FA Forbes Annex, ( NSW) ; 1942-44 parts Supplier for Rifles assembled at Bathurst ( BA) since Lithgow was concentrating on Bren and Vickers Guns.
The rest sight is Swedish, the T on the slide is
"TORPED" ( ROUNDNOSE) used on M38 assembled between 1938 and 1941 when Spitzer ( Prykkskit)
M1941 Cartridge introduced.

A junk buy. Sorry, some Aussies are Ignorant, or Rogues, or both.
Hope you are not too much out of pocket.

Doc AV
Down under.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the history! I’m a little fuzzy on how someone mated an M38 rear sight base with an Enfield rear sight base, but I digress…

Well honestly DocAV, my out of pocket depends on if I’ll be able to realistically part out the base and M96 sight leaf to recoup the rest of the cost. The seller also sold an M38 sight leaf that came with this bastardized contraption, which was what I was really after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.