1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,051 Posts
It is in nice condition. It would be even nicer if it had more blue remaining and a German frog instead of Romanian. The grips look like they were bleached but were probably just sanded.

-- just my opinion, which you asked for.

Note the grips on the bayonets below.

German frog on G98/40 rifle

German frog on a Chinese export K98k rifle

German frog on a K98k rifle

German frog on a G98/40 rifle

German frog on a G24(t) rifle (VZ24 German modified bayonet)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So it’s a Romanian frog. Guess that’s better than no frog!
I thought the grips may have been left in bare wood without finishing, war effort you know!

·
15,051 Posts
Thanks! So it’s a Romanian frog. Guess that’s better than no frog!
I thought the grips may have been left in bare wood without finishing, war effort you know!
I have Romanian frogs on a lot of bayonets, especially Czech made export bayonets. They are available and reasonably generic. (Try finding, for example, an original El Salvadoran or Paraguayan frog).

A bit of the original finish remains in a depression around the forward screw on the right side of your bayonet.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Yes the bayonet is WKC 1944, unfortunally dissesambled and sanded the grips probably, the patina was gone the romanian frog was opened on hole for scabbard hook probably, there is KIROV stamp? On similar bayonets is nothing to do only oil metal to stop rust. Normally in this range are bayonet with riveted wood grips, but in that area were observed screws so the riveted piece is much desirable by collectors.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes Andy, I knew about the riveted grips. Too bad this one don’t have them, then whoever probably wouldn’t have been able to disassemble them.
I’ll check it out more when it gets here. About a week.
(Hope the rivets weren’t drilled out and replaced with screws!)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to the K98 bayonet registry and saw two bayonets with about the same look to the grips.
Kinda wonder now. If the grips have been messed with, then more messing by me won’t hurt it. But, maybe I shouldn’t mess with it to be safe!

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
The first pictures before release the countersunk looked that wood was with patina,even light color which speak for longtime storage out of sunlight.But the next photos with loose screws looks like sanded surface?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You’re probably right Andy. You can see the screws have been messed with. Closer inspection is necessary.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you look at the 5th picture you can see some minor surface chipping on the wood next to the guard. I would think if someone sanded the grips the marks would be gone. Usually when someone gets out the sandpaper the sharp edges get rounded.

If you want the handles a little darker put some linseed oil on it. Put a few drops on your finger and rub it in till it all soaks in. Let it sit a few days and repeat if necessary.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it arrived yesterday.
There is no problem with this bayonet...looks good!

·
15,051 Posts
Grips look better. Maybe lighting in the first photos caused grips to appear lighter than they were or maybe grips were oiled after first photos were taken.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the lighting was the culprit.
Sometimes I don’t trust pictures, but realize “look at the entire picture”.

·
15,051 Posts
I think the lighting was the culprit.
Sometimes I don’t trust pictures, but realize “look at the entire picture”.
A photo that is overexposed will cause light colors to appear lighter than they actually are.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it will go well with my bcd 4 K98k!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And if you had camo on, you would have been there later!

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Grips looks like not sanded now, anyway the last countersunk was probably moved in grip. As its a late war production, it could be done in fabric, the mashining is rough. Romanian frog is not standart on these bayonets.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The frog...you can see wear on the scabbard consistent with a frog being there. I wonder if this is the one, or is it a replacement? In other words, I don’t think the Germans used Romanian frogs during the war, right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts