Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,552 Posts
It sure is a well done fake, right down to the stake on the plunger retention screw. The shape matches real examples perfectly from what I can see. The only thing that looks a bit weird to me are the numbers.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I talked to a person from across the pond who personally handled it and here's what he noted.
Ring screws are all correct size and threads. Buffer, buffer spring and buffer screw all correct size, thickness etc, Dimensions and thickness of other parts are all correct too. Serial number was reapplied but that's not an issue. Other originals are known where serial number was clearly scrubbed and new one applied for whatever reason. So that being said it checks out as original about 95%
What bothers him however is unusually rough machining on the inside surface of the rails as well as couple other spots. He also noted that bluing looks a bit strange but it might be just the patina showing through. I'm with RyanE on this one, and wanna say it's legit and if it's a repro (which there's a slight chance it is) I'm giving a standing ovation to whoever did this!!!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Here's a reference photo that I have of a genuine mount which also has some tool marks on the rails.
Yes there are tooling marks but he describes it as unusual, different, non specific compared to all other originals. Like if you'd compare prewar Tula quality with 1942 Izhevsk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.