Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just paid a pretty penny for a STV 40 that has a notch on it. There were limited pictures, although the owner says he has had it in his safe since purchase and done nothing to it (my other 1941 has been sitting in my safe since 1995). What do you guys think?? I know I took a risk based upon the pic.

thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
402 Posts
A closeup picture of the notch from the top and side will tell the most.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,701 Posts
Army, as Mongo says, closeups would help. But, just as a first inpression from your picture the notch looks too wide and too far forward. The base should set in the rails at a point where the rear takedown access cover should open to the side with the mount in place. Again, just a first impression. Are there any marks within the notch? Skid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Receiver Markings

What are the markings on the top and side of the receiver? Any "C"? Is the rest of the rifle stamped matched, or electo-pencilled? Muzzle break?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Real SVT 40 or Not?

I'd go along with what sssniper says, but Vic can tell you for sure...:)

·
Administrator
19,279 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures but it does not look odd to me at all.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Since it is a post war rework, if it has anything but a matching blued finish in the notch it has been made up. In other words the notch would not have been cut after it was reblued during the rework process.

·
Registered
181 Posts
SVT Sniper?

I have never heard of there needing to be "C" stamped on the reciever somewhere.. Usually there are some small hash marks stamped near the milled slot used by the armorer to mill out the slot for correct alignment. Mine has the hash marks but no other marks in the bottom of the slot or on the reciever. Loren

·
Administrator
19,279 Posts
The C is a new one on me as well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
972 Posts
One of my snipers, a 1942 Tula, has a C on the left side of the receiver just below the end of the rail. The notch is the wide late type notch with some marks in the bottom of the notch.

Cass

·
Registered
44 Posts
Army, as Mongo says, closeups would help. But, just as a first inpression from your picture the notch looks too wide and too far forward. The base should set in the rails at a point where the rear takedown access cover should open to the side with the mount in place. Again, just a first impression. Are there any marks within the notch? Skid

I agree

·
Platinum Bullet Member
827 Posts
C

Wouldn't the "C" on a Tula SVT40 be a similar marking as the "C" on the Tula 91/30 snipers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts