Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Repro scope. Real screws will be domed on the dials.

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Yesterday at "The Nations Gun Show" saw a 1927 Hex Receiver PU sniper. It was without a doubt real.

Real fake, that is......

Price was $1050...

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
For those new to the game, there are no real PU snipers built on pre-1942 Mosins.

Lots of replicas and fakes as CAI and others routinely put scopes and mounts on early refurb rifles to sell at Big Five and such retail outlets for under $500 a few years back.

Big Five, to their credit, didn't claim these were real snipers, at least out here, and they shoot quite well as they were done in Ukraine on generally good refurb regular Mosins with quality replica scopes. App. 2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards is what I have actually done with a few, which is darn good for out of the box old military rifles. (My best real 43 PU has done 5/8 MOA but that was a fine day as 1 1/4MOA is said to be the Tula sniper standard.))

Now sadly the replicas often turn up being sold as real snipers, which turns a "Replica" into a "Fake." Fun, good to shoot, but not real snipers.

The same goes for Finn rifles with PU scopes on them - just fakes made for US sales, though they may shoot well.

The lesson -research and learn before you shell out big bucks. It is a world of fakes in the "sniper rifle" sales arena.

The flat turret screws are a dead giveaway of a replica scope. No replica I have seen has a postwar refurb mark or postwar refurb date on it, the little box with an "X" in it, so that is worth looking for -not all real scopes have it, but no fakes do. It means the scope was sent postwar to a Soviet optics facility for new coated lenses, new glue, new turret leathers and a nice reblue. Better than new!

Yesterday at "The Nations Gun Show" saw a 1927 Hex Receiver PU sniper. It was without a doubt real.

Real fake, that is......

Price was $1050...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.