Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: What ammo to stock up on for PU sniper and M39 use

I have a PU sniper and a M39 that I would like to shoot. I have a box or two of the PPU 150 and 180gr ammo, but nothing else. What is the best available ammo to stock up on for target shooting, hunting, and possible match use. I just purchased some of the 7.62x54R - EXTRA MATCH - 200 Grain Copper FMJ - Brass Case - Made in Russia by LVE in 2010 ammo from SGammo, based upon a review by another user that this is good match ammo for the PU. I would like to get a few cases of other ammo for future use and am leaning toward non-corrosive ammo due to the humid East Coast weather and problems I had in the past with an AK developing rust before I could get home to clean. Please let me know what you recommend.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,944 Posts
Is it really going to matter? Everything you put down the pipe is going to be a flyer shot.

But on a serious note, you'll have to experiment with each projectile/load to get the results you want. And I'm not sure that FMJ is legal for hunting in your area? It isn't in Maine. So you may need to find some SP.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Czech silvertip 1967, period.
Buy all you find, repeat...

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Re: What ammo to stock up on for PU sniper and M39 use

Those are nice rifles, I personally wouldn't put any corrosive surplus in them. For my M39 I use Prvi and reload the cases with Hornady 174gn. Or at least when Midway had them in stock I did.
Why? I shoot corrosive surplus in my M39s and M44 and have for a long time. I flood the barrel and action with windex after my range session and my bores look as good as the day I bought the rifles. Corrosive ammo is only corrosive if you don't take care of your firearms. There is absolutely no reason not to shoot surplus stuff for plinking unless you are lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Copper Bullet member
9,817 Posts
I get great groups from my PU with Prvi Partizan 182 grain.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Those are nice rifles, I personally wouldn't put any corrosive surplus in them. For my M39 I use Prvi and reload the cases with Hornady 174gn. Or at least when Midway had them in stock I did.
If properly cleaned with H2o, corrosive is no harder on the rifling than non corrosive. If one choses to remain ignorant or too lazy to clean weapon, that is their choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Three recommendations, best hunting (East Coast deer), match (if there is something better than the 7.62x54R - EXTRA MATCH), and general target ammo. I just want to put some aside for future use.

·
Registered
533 Posts
For hunting, my M39 will shoot into 2" with the 200+- grain sp Brown Bear, Wolf Military Classic, or even some old Barnaul that I picked up at a gun show. But it will put Winchester white box 180 gr. soft points into a ragged hole at 100 yd.'s

·
Registered
17,634 Posts
every rifle is different. Slug the bore and hand load for the best results. Hard to give a "works great for all " for your situation. Or get samples of many.. take it to the range and see what works best in your rifle.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
That's just what we used to do, back when ammo was so cheap it was almost free.
We bought up "sample pacs" of every type of 54r around and headed to the range with a dozen Mosin's.
Some rifles did prefer some particular ammo but patterns did emerge ammo wise.
Czech silvertip shot the tightest groups in all rifles tested followed closely by some of the 80's Russian factory 188 and maybe 64 perhaps (going on long faded memory here).
Of the Czech, the 1964 grouped great but suffered from stiff extraction in almost all rifles.
The 1967 Czech shot the same great groups but the cases almost never stuck in the chamber.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
For accuracy, it is gonna be hard to beat Extra Match. It is truely match ammo, no BS. With its long bearing surface, it is gonna perform well or excellent in any bore that is not smoothe. It does OK in two pitted and heavily worn barrels that I have. Anything else would likely keyhole.

Hunting ammo is best reloaded with HP or SPs, or some of the commericial loaded SPs or HP should serve well. 7N1 would do well if legal. The knocker is intented to destabilize upon impact and is heck on tissue.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
In my experience, with the majority of my many Mosins, my best all-around best milsurp ammo is good old Novosibirsk "!88" headstamp when you can find it by tin. It is classic Russian silvertip light ball, mildly corrosive and generally shoots very accurately at ranges to 500 yards, My M39s like heavy ball a bit better for real accuracy at longer ranges, but still it is "188" to stock up on when I find it. Clean well, no big deal to shoot corrosive in a Mosin. Won't hut a thing if you clean it.

Second, as I often say, I really like the white box new non-corrosive "LVE" light ball sold sometimes as a Wolf import. This is what I feed my SVT-40 and Dragunov as they are ones I hate to totally take down and clean so often. This Novosibirsk "LVE" is very accurate and consistent and shoots superbly in Mosins as well, made by the same plant that makes the special SVD sniper ammo 7n1. I have shot "LVE" to 7/16 inch groups at 100 yards in my best 43 PU, so it is good stuff.

On Mike Radford's fine recommendation I bought a few tins of yellow box "Extra" back when I could find it and I also have a supply of blue box "Match" but because I can't easily replace it, I save it for rifle tests and serious accuracy comparisons with other ammo. Extra proves a bit better at long range than Match, but most of the rifles I shoot are not capable of really getting the most out of this superb ammo and do about as well on the LVE I mentioned at the ranges I can still shoot well with iron sights. Also, it doesn't shoot to exactly the same POI as my light ball LVE or 188, so I have to adjust the scope, not a big deal, but be aware of it.

For your own rifles, the answer is stated well above -slug the bore, buy several varieties of ammo and run a serious bench test at various ranges to see what works best in each rifle. My M39s like different ammo than the Mosin snipers and as you extend the range, one ammo may prove superior. One member of these boards is a very experienced long-range shooter and he prefers heavy ball by far, shooting to 1000 yards in competition, so you need to experiment.

I, like many of us, also handload, making up various combinations of Lapua brass and Varget and different diameter bullets to feed the more exotic Finns like my 28/30 and others. This is a whole world in itself with many members more experienced than I able to give great advice should you choose to take it up.

As to hunting loads, most softpoint can't begin to come close to what the best military or competition ammo can do at longer ranges, so try a few and sight in for it, take good notes on the real MOA it can do and stick to ranges where you can always get a clean kill.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Anything that goes bang! Shot various lots, country of origin, date of production, etc., etc. over the years including the expensive so called "sniper" rounds.
Always comes back to the same arguments about 7.62x54R that is a debate with no end and no answers ...
Any particular 7.62x54R gun may have a particular affinity for a particular lot, from a particular country, from a particular era or year of production and ... just about the time you figure out your gun likes a particular batch... you can't get any more of it and your spam can runneth dry! The next can you open is shooting all over the place and you are frustrated beyond belief!

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Now THAT is the truth!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.