Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Hungarian 91/30 a while back on a internet auction site,and when it arrived I discovered it had been de-activated by drilling its barrel crossway in 4 places,and the bolt head was ground down.I decided to go ahead and get it re-barrelled to make it a shooter at least,if nothing else.After I tracked down a replacement barrel and bolt-head I dropped it off at a local gunsmith a few weeks ago,and picked it up a few days ago.The barrel had a receiver stub still fitted,it would not screw off easily so a relief cut had to be made at the front of the stub to relieve pressure to unscrew the barrel,the stuffed Hungarian barrel also proved to be very tightly fitted and also required the cut to seperate it from the Hungarian receiver.This is a pic of the receiver stub from the new (Russian) barrel and the stuffed Hungarian barrel after they had been removed by the smith...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here is a pic of the finished rifle (not very clear unfortunately).I took it out to the range this morning and it shot very well,the smooth Hungarian receiver/bolt and the as-new Russian tube seem a good combination.It was not cost-effective to do this project but it was worth saving anyway for the satisfaction of doing it.This was the first Mosin this particular gunsmith had done,and he was surprised just how tightly the barrel was screwed into the receiver (on both rifles).

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It's a pretty rifle. The smith is correct about the barrel receiver fit being tight. I tried to change out a barrel on a mosin once on ended up bending the receiver. All I ended up with was a new barrel and no receiver to put it in.

·
Diamond Member
6,594 Posts
caerlonie, congratulations on salvaging the purchase and completing the project. I have seen very fec pics of the barrel and receiver separated. Denny

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Some projects are enjoyable regardless of the cost - I am sure this rifle will provide years of fun =+)

Pahtu.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Another option is to have the original barrel relined. This would preserve all the markings, etc.
It's also not very cost effective.
As far as barrel removal, many of the older gunsmithing books mention that relief cuts needed to be made to remove the barrels of military rifles. Maybe that's why so many Finnish Mosins had 6mm holes drilled into the receiver breech area--to provide a way to lubricate the threads for easier barrel replacement.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it out to the range this afternoon,I was shooting my own jacketed reloads and also I tried out some light cast bullet handloads,I cast these bullets just from wheelweights with a gascheck fitted.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was the target (100 yards) shot with the jacketed handloads,there is quite a lot of vertical stringing but I would say most of this was me rather than the rifle,as frankly I am not a great shot at the best of times.The lead bullets shot a wider group but at least this rifle puts them through the target nose first,unlike my Savage No.4 .303 that keyholes with the same bullets the Mosin fires them very well,I feel they have real potential as a light plinking load if I put a bit of effort into experimenting with different powder charges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts