Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many may already know, the excellent RCBS Primer Pocket Swager does not work well with any press using a ram greater than 1" in diameter. My press is a Lee Classic Cast which features a 1 1/8" ram, and I believe the Redding Ultra Mag is a large 1 1/8" as well. Here is a view of the swager stud:

The problem is because the shell remover cap that fits over the swager stud does not fit around the ram, and instead sits on top.

I have chafed at the fact that I was unable to use the affordable and effective RCBS Primer Pocket Swager with my press. In my opinion the C4D pocket swager, which does not have the mandrel that pushes on the top of the flash hole area as the stud presses into the pocket, is an inferior product. The Dillion primer pocket swager has the same problem. So, I figured out a solution that I am planning on offering anybody interested for the cost in materials and time. Here is my larger diameter shell remover cap that fits a 1 1/8" ram on my Lee Classic Cast.

Here it is in the down position, when the case is "popped off."

Here are some more views.

These take me a bit of time to make and some materials, but they are heavy since I am making them out of mild steel (I make up for the lack of hardness with extra material). I am going to the post office to figure out what it would cost to send these out and then I can come up with a price if there is interest.

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
Excellent Idea of the adaptor. I had the same problem years ago, with my RCBS Swager and larger Ram presses. (I was sick of hand reaming or Drill countersinking my brass)...so I got a Dillon 1050/Super 1050 instead...now the swaging is part of the Sizing Porcess ( Station #2)..FLS Decap is #1... I still keep my RCBS for cases I can't do on the Dillon 'cause of lack of the right Conversion Kits.

When you are preparing Lots of 10,000 .30/06 or 7,62 or 5,56, a progressive swager is handy. Wish there was one for .50BMG, Only single stage ones there, and "unsupported"

The other thing I also did is make up (both for RCBS AND Dillon) Swages for Berdan Primers (.217 and .250 (.303). I don't have enough Soviet .254 to be worthwhile, anyway these seem to have Minimal crimp, anyway. The Berdan Swages are simply the same design as Boxer, with an added dimple drilled to clear the anvil (Use a Centre drill to ensure concentricity and correct Tapered shape to clear anvil) . The Dillon Berdan Rams are made with interchangeable Swages (screwed into a turned Main swage ram arm)

Amazing what Ideas come out of the fertile minds of Reloaders....Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.!

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services
Brisbane, Australia

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,168 Posts
Curious shooter,
Nice idea. I could be interested in one. I have to admit, I use the same two pieces of equipment, and I haven't really found a problem with it...yet. I test-swaged some military surplus .30-'06 with good results. I don't know why I didn't have apparent problems, but maybe that's because I'm not as familiar with the operation of the swager die as I should be.
Pat

·
9,168 Posts
I guess I'm really NOT that familiar with that operation!
I went back and swaged out some 5.56 today using the Lee Classic Cast and the RCBS PPSD. You're right, it does sit on top, but I didn't find too much of a problem keeping it balanced there. Still, I'm sure it would be better to have it set up as designed.

Keep us abreast of the developments of your adapter.
Thanks,
Pat

·
Silver Bullet Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back and swaged out some 5.56 today using the Lee Classic Cast and the RCBS PPSD. You're right, it does sit on top, but I didn't find too much of a problem keeping it balanced there. Still, I'm sure it would be better to have it set up as designed.
How where you removing the swaged brass from the stud? It is quite a task to twist it off if you actually did swaging worthwhile and the twisting messes up the radius on the primer pocket. Quite simply, how the heck were you using a RCBS primer pocket swager with the standard cup and not having problems?

Anyway, it seems that only one person wants one of these, so if you send me your address, I'll send you a cup thing for the cost of postage and a bit for the work involved. ~$5 I'd imagine.

·
9,168 Posts
Curioushooter,
Sounds good, I'll take it. I'm in a rush to get going to work now, but I'll PM you later if that's o.k. I'll also provide more detail on how I've been doing it so far.
Thanks,
Pat

·
9,168 Posts
PM sent, thanks.

In fact, I have been twisting them a bit to remove them. Some require a little more force than others, which is probably a really good reason to use an adapter...So far so good, but you're right, I shouldn't have to do that. Looking forward to using your adapter cup on my brass-
Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.