Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weapon was a DOT Czech gun and was stamped 1944. Normally I stay away from late war guns like the bubonic plague but this one had a mint bore and the price was right to boot so I succumbed to temptation.

The Russians naturally threw away all of the accessories like the locking screws, front sight hood, sling, and cleaning rod. These I when out and bought to install.

The bore was better polished than Czech late war guns made by DOU as some of these that I have seen that were mint had numerous machine marks in the bore. My DOT gun though, was still no where near the mirror polished bore that I have found on some early war German guns or the fabulous German made South American contract Mausers.

The gun proved to be a big disappointment, not in accuracy but in function as the Russians had even re-blued the contact surfaces of the sear and striker. They also were improperly fitted to boot. Rather than waste time refitting the sear I simply substituted a sear out of a Mr. Bubba Butchered Sporter Mauser made in 1915, wow what that gun would have been worth if Jethro Bodine had not got his claws on that one.

The extractor had not been properly fitted during the Russian rebuild process either, so I re-cut the extractor for smooth as a baby’s butt feeding.

The follower was also out of spec., resulting in cartridges jumping out of the magazine during the feeding cycle. I simply substituted a German made WWII follower and this cured the problem.

I noticed that in the Rusky’s haste to blue the guns this also resulted in them bluing the entire rear sight and not leaving the leaf in the white with only the numbers being black as in the original German configuration making the numbers much more difficult to read. I know that there is great controversy on whether to convert these guns back to original German Military configuration that would include refinishing the stock from the dark Russian Shellac finish back to the lighter color oil finish found on the German guns. I really do not now where I stand on this issue so for now I will leave the gun as the Rusky’s altered it.

As to be expected the mint bore was amazingly accurate but much more so with cast bullets as the machine marks would pick up metal following but with cast bullets there is no copper to pick up to foul the bore and my cast bullet loads shot 3 shots into some groups as small as ½ inch. It would put 5 shots into an 1 ½ all day long. Not bad for an older person with very bad eyesight. I wonder what I could do if my eyes were still a young 20 years old?

Loads were as follows: Lyman 165 grain Lovern Style bullet lubed with 50/50 alox lube sized to .326 with both 25.5 grains of IMR 4198 and also 27 grains of IMR at 1,900 fps. I used 1 grain of poyester pillow fiber for filler to eliminate hangfires and insure more positive ignition. A lyman “M” die was used to expand the case necks and slightly bell the case mouths.

·
Registered
347 Posts
TI used 1 grain of poyester pillow fiber for filler to eliminate hangfires and insure more positive ignition.
Hmmm. Can you elaborate on this a bit? Do you mean that you used it to "fill out" the powder load and fill the casing? I know you can do this with pistol ammo but was instructed that this was a no-no with rifle ammo. I'm not saying your wrong here, just that I received different information when in came to reloading.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fillers for rifle ammo is definitely not a no, no. Hang-fires are eliminated and the you get more positive ignition.

I went out today and shot the gun some more as well as a Persian 98 contract gun made by the Czechs. I got outstanding accuracy out of both. No expensive match jacketed bullets I have used shot better than my cast loads. I think the myth is that lead bullets are always less accurate than an expensive jacketed match bullet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. Can you elaborate on this a bit? Do you mean that you used it to "fill out" the powder load and fill the casing? I know you can do this with pistol ammo but was instructed that this was a no-no with rifle ammo. I'm not saying your wrong here, just that I received different information when in came to reloading.

Fillers for rifle ammo is definitely not a no, no. Hang-fires are eliminated and the you get more positive ignition.

I went out today and shot the gun some more as well as a Persian 98 contract gun made by the Czechs. I got outstanding accuracy out of both. No expensive match jacketed bullets I have used shot better than my cast loads. I think the myth is that lead bullets are always less accurate than an expensive jacketed match bullet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was this from an online retailer?

No, but it came from one and was unfired. I did not ask where the fellow bought it. I should have out of curiosity. The outside of the gun was mint and so was the bore, that is why I bought it. I think the Russian, in general, did a very poor job of rebuilding these guns mechanically speaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts