Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick this rifle up this weekend from a dealer friend of mine.
The story he got was that this rifle belonged to a family member who had passed away and that it was found under a burned out German truck and sent home. My friend really didn't buy the story. I figure it was fabricated in order to get a little more $$$$$.
Definite RC. S/N on the left side of the stck, missing capture screws, an "X" next to the S/N on the receiver and the bolt is electro-penciled (It's hard to see in the photos).
The stock shows considerable insect damage and the wood finish turning black (I think that's where the burned truck story comes into play...it sort of looks charred), the metal is well browned and pitted, the elevation slide on the rear sight is rusted in place as it the bad spring to the front band, the bore is nonexistant and is home to a dead spider (I think) and cobbwebs. Honestly, I'm kind of afraid to clean it out.
I'm thinking that this rifle came back from South East Asia. Of course I have no papers or proof.......
Any opinions or photos of similar K98's? I think there was a thread on this at one time but can't find it.
For some reason, the rifle looks better in the photos than it does in hand.
Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,776 Posts
Not a K98k, but . . .

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
i'm glad someone here got it, I was looking at it at the Wilmington show but didnt have cash on me to buy it. If you decide to part with it keep me in mind, I am still interested in it.

Pick this rifle up this weekend from a dealer friend of mine.
The story he got was that this rifle belonged to a family member who had passed away and that it was found under a burned out German truck and sent home. My friend really didn't buy the story. I figure it was fabricated in order to get a little more $$$$$.
Definite RC. S/N on the left side of the stck, missing capture screws, an "X" next to the S/N on the receiver and the bolt is electro-penciled (It's hard to see in the photos).
The stock shows considerable insect damage and the wood finish turning black (I think that's where the burned truck story comes into play...it sort of looks charred), the metal is well browned and pitted, the elevation slide on the rear sight is rusted in place as it the bad spring to the front band, the bore is nonexistant and is home to a dead spider (I think) and cobbwebs. Honestly, I'm kind of afraid to clean it out.
I'm thinking that this rifle came back from South East Asia. Of course I have no papers or proof.......
Any opinions or photos of similar K98's? I think there was a thread on this at one time but can't find it.
For some reason, the rifle looks better in the photos than it does in hand.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Stan....no visible import stamps and I looked long and hard for anything with every magnifing device I have in the house.
I don't think this was a recent import that was thrown into a manure pile .
My wife has already decided to divorce me if anything hatches out of this and eats our house. Needless to say...she wasn't impressed with my latest purchase.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really cool Bill. Same sort of stock issues. Do you have any history on your M44?
8x57, I'm really surprised that this wasn't grabbed up sooner now that I know it was at Wilmington. I don't remember seeing it Friday night during our show set up or Saturday. But then again I didn't walk around much as the show was pretty crazy.
I sort of tripped over it , got a price and sort of let it go. It wasn't unreasonable ...but I figured I could get it cheaper on the second day. I knew what it was/is but was a little hesitant ...it wasn't a bad price but then again... there was no provanace......ie: capture/bring back papers.
I went back about a half hour before the show ended and struck a deal.
The look, the patina, the overall condition sort of "spoke" to me.
I'm very happy to add it to my collection.
Mark

·
15,776 Posts
Really cool Bill. Same sort of stock issues. Do you have any history on your M44?

Mark
The only history is "It was given to me after being found abandoned in an empty apartment (in San Antonio)".

But I remember seeing a photo of one that looked the same in Stars & Stripes when I was in country. Who knows, the photo may even have been of the same rifle.

It's not an M44 but rather a Type 53, one of the 1960 contract made for North Viet Nam.

I tell people it was eaten by "jungle bugs".

Regards,
Bill

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,438 Posts
The serial number placed on the stock is consistent with a post WW II east German or Russian rework, not WW II way of marking serial numbers on stocks. So forget the WW II pick up story.Could be damage from Vietnam or poor storage in a damp climate here. My 'guess' is Vietnam but without paper most won't buy it. This would fit nicely in a VN display and would 'pass' for what are documented VN bring backs for that display purpose. interesting.

·
15,776 Posts
Way too beat-up for me, then again I buy the Gun not the story.

HDH.
This gun tells its own story. The chances of the rifle being eaten up by bugs in the US after fairly recent importation is very slim.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah...I bought the gun...definitly not the story. Been buying '98's for over 30 years and I've heard plenty of stories....
This rifle sort of spoke to me. I'm sure it has a story but we'll nver know it. South East Asia bring back is purly speculation on my part.
It's interesting to note that the heaviest insect damage and pitting occure on the left side of the rifle like it was laying on the ground bolt side up....which it probably was at some point. I see insect patterns like this on the bottom logs of my wood pile.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've seen worse things restored. But not much worse ...
A

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Hey Stan....no visible import stamps and I looked long and hard for anything with every magnifing device I have in the house.
I don't think this was a recent import that was thrown into a manure pile .
My wife has already decided to divorce me if anything hatches out of this and eats our house. Needless to say...she wasn't impressed with my latest purchase.
I think I would agree that a Vietnam bringback is the most likely case with this one. Looks like it could have be from the same weapons cache as Bill's Type 53! Just trying to rule out a "Katrina-like" relic if import marks where visible.
I hear you on the wife! Maybe you can give her some piece of mind and store it temporarily in one of these just in case any unwanted critters are still lurking within!
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-198

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.