Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the front and rear sights on a K.98 merely sweat-soldered onto the barrel? I have two rifles with canted sights and want to know if I can heat them and rotate the front and rear sight bases. Neither are particularly collectible, I just want to be able to sight them straight. TIA for any info.

·
Silver Bullet Member
562 Posts
Underneath the front sight blade there is a tiny screw you need to remove but otherwise they are soldered on and with heat will come off. There is also a more obvious screw on the rear sight.

Ski

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
If the front sight is tilted a lot, the the screw is missing or the tip is busted off..
When the screw is intact and in place, the front sight body will move only so far, it can't get WAY out of kilter.
Both sight bases are soldered on.
The front sight's solder will soften pretty quick, but the rear base takes much longer due to the barrel sucking the heat away from the base.
Be careful tapping on the rear sight base in advance of the solder getting soft, it is very thin and easily distorted if a heavy hand is in charge of the hammer.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll update this once I've tried it on one of the rifles. I need a new propane tank for the torch...

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
ive got the same issue. sorta. ive got my sights off.
how do you 'bubba garage' line up the sights for true?
whats the best silver soldier?
thanks
solman

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
If you have a screw with an intact "dowell" on the tip then it will be more or less correct when you tighten the screw.
If there is some right/left movement, average it out and stop in the middle.
I use the low temp solder brownells sells, silver solder requires too much heat.
If you don't remove the solder that's already "tinned" onto the sight body and barrel, you can just reheat and it will flow from the band to the barrel and vice versa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts