Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new RC, 43, and this one has no electro pencil serials ......just the regular mis-matched numbers . Question. Was there any method to forced serials with the RC? Any background info about any of this?
Why did they electro pencil serial them anyway? Why did they let some go without it?

Mine also has those tiny capture screws. And what in the world do they do?They are so tiny.

As an aside, the bore looked like it had not been touched for 60 years....with lots of junk in there{I thought it might be bad when I first saw it} , but I took a chance and when I used the brass brush and CLP "Powder Blast" with Hoppes and a ton of rags through it , it's looking great, clear and shiny, almost like new. Took the barrel out and it looks super clean.

Another question I had was when the Russians got these all original k98s and{ from what I have heard on this forum} took the best parts and made mix-master- new k98s{RC}, what did they do with all those old parts?

And also, why didn't they just clean up the originals instead of taking them apart and mixing parts up? After all, the k98s were probably close to new.......or a few years old when The Nazis invaded Russian. This was the best equipped and most professional army ever. How bad could the majority of these rifles be? Why take them apart and mix them up? Didn't the Russians think that the original parts would go with each other in a rifle better than mixed parts??
When the Nazis invaded Russian, weren't their guns all in fine shape with little wear or maybe near new? This was when the Nazis were at their peak?
Well, as you can see, I am a newbe at all these questions{and this forum is such an awesome resource for answers}, I have lots of questions and it's all so interesting because I have been a big WWII buff ever since I saw THE LONGEST DAY" when it first came out in theaters in like 63 or something{?}. Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

· Registered
386 Posts
Basspastor;
The Wehrmact of 1945 was not the Wehrmact of 1941. By the end of the war, there were certainly mountains of Kar98ks that could only be described as barely serviceable, shot out junk. As well as many rifles that were hardly used, and everything else in between.

No doubt, several generations of Soviet armorours were trained using "worthless Fascist scrap" as learning material. I'm sure each and every one of them thought they created a rifle better than the fascist filth originally manufactured by the Third Reich.

Using outdated rifles as "make-work" project to keep military and factory personnel busy during lean times was and probably still is a world wide phenomenon.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sfoster, I didn't think of how long the war last and that there were probably guns in every condition. It's too bad that the Russians didn't leave a film or two on how they stored and reconditioned all these rifles. It is so interesting from an historical point of view. I wonder if they still have some RC hidden somewhere?

· Registered
3,482 Posts
The Russians still have thousands (maybe millions) of these Rifles salted away. Most of the RC's we have in the West came out of the Ukraine, however some of the latest imports of these rifles look like they came from Russia.

HDH.

· Registered
3,482 Posts
Basspastor;
The Wehrmact of 1945 was not the Wehrmact of 1941. By the end of the war, there were certainly mountains of Kar98ks that could only be described as barely serviceable, shot out junk. As well as many rifles that were hardly used, and everything else in between.

No doubt, several generations of Soviet armorours were trained using "worthless Fascist scrap" as learning material. I'm sure each and every one of them thought they created a rifle better than the fascist filth originally manufactured by the Third Reich.

Using outdated rifles as "make-work" project to keep military and factory personnel busy during lean times was and probably still is a world wide phenomenon.
You hit the nail on the head, Soviet system needs to give people something to do. I am sure most of the Guns they captured were in perfect working order and all they needed was a good going over to bring them to a state of readiness. no other Country did the break down mix up the parts thing, only in the USSR.

HDH.

· Banned
2,873 Posts
Anyone interested in how the post war soviet military operated, and who is interested in how and why they used secondary weapons like 91/30's and 98k's should take a read of a book titled "Inside The Soviet Army" by Viktor Suvarov. It gives a rather interesting look at the cold war peiod of the Soviet system. Granted a bit dated now, it does give a more in depth look at the how and why of Soviet thinking, and organization.

Certainly a more realistic look at the Soviets than the idea that rebuilding RC's was simply a form of "Make Work".

· Registered
4,719 Posts
With all the the soviet capture k98s in the motherland...how did they plan to shoot them? There must be ammo left over that was picked up also and/or maybe they manufactured some? Anyone ever hear of period manufactured Soviet ammo?

· Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
With all the the soviet capture k98s in the motherland...how did they plan to shoot them? There must be ammo left over that was picked up also and/or maybe they manufactured some? Anyone ever hear of period manufactured Soviet ammo?

Great point. I know the conventional wisdom is that the RC Mausers were intended to be used by the proletariat to defend against a potential invasion, but that brings up a lot of questions... If the intent was to activate these weapons in an emergency, were there any stockpiles of 8mm ammo near the Mauser storage? It would also make sense to provide at least marginal training to the people if the guns were to be used with any sort of effectiveness, but we don't hear about that having ever happened either. And I believe the USSR did have trained/armed People's Militias (the DDR surely did) that would have provided the perfect framework for such training.

That the only "issued" RC 98k's come from places like Vietnam suggests, to me, that they might have been kept less as an emergency weapon stockpile than as just a general asset. The USSR was, after all, devastated by WWII, and they certainly tended to cart off and hoarde ANYTHING from conquered territory that might later prove of monetary value. These rifles might not have even been reworked and stored by a military or paramilitary agency (BTW, does anyone know where the warehouses where they were found were located? On military bases?) but by a part of governement concerned with trade, economics, or anything.

I certainly would not back any of my conjecture above, as I don't have proof for any of it. But neither, as far as I've seen, does anyone have any solid proof to back the generally accepted explanation behind why these rifles were kept. The truth might always remain a mystery.

· Registered
3,482 Posts
Anyone interested in how the post war soviet military operated, and who is interested in how and why they used secondary weapons like 91/30's and 98k's should take a read of a book titled "Inside The Soviet Army" by Viktor Suvarov. It gives a rather interesting look at the cold war peiod of the Soviet system. Granted a bit dated now, it does give a more in depth look at the how and why of Soviet thinking, and organization.

Certainly a more realistic look at the Soviets than the idea that rebuilding RC's was simply a form of "Make Work".
OK Bill, thank you for the reference. Seeing that I will most likely not purchase Suvarov's book and being a student of military history can you inform us
(me) as to why the Soviets broke down the captured Mauser 98's in such a fashion.

Thanks in advance.

HDH.

· Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
OK Bill, thank you for the reference. Seeing that I will most likely not purchase Suvarov's book and being a student of military history can you inform us
(me) as to why the Soviets broke down the captured Mauser 98's in such a fashion.

Thanks in advance.
+1. Would be very interested in hearing a brief abstract, could be very enlightening.

· Silver Bullet member
7,847 Posts

· Registered
1,432 Posts
I read somewhere although i do not remember the source.That gathered rifles and pistols from the battle field had the stocks and wood pistol grips taken off.Than they were put in 50 gal drums and oil was added.They were than stored like that for years until refurbished or what have you.This would make sense to me as it would be a fast and easy way to preserve the weapons.Maybe the wood stocks were dry stored in 50 gal drums to.Most likely from the rust pitting seen on some RC rifles and pistols some sat outside for a while before being gathered and stored.

· Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
I pointed you to a source of information, I'm not going to read the book to you. If you are REALLY interested you will read the book.
I will buy and read the book, it sounds extremely interesting and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. But naming a source without actually making any meaningful reference to the content is a bit disingenious, and can hardly be seen as support for a position.

· Banned
2,873 Posts
I will buy and read the book, it sounds extremely interesting and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. But naming a source without actually making any meaningful reference to the content is a bit disingenious, and can hardly be seen as support for a position.
There are a number of reasons for not trying to sum up a complicated work consisting of hundreds of pages in 50 or 100 words here. Primarily, because it can not do the subject justice. If that is being "disingenous", then it would be a complete and utter waste of your time reading the book.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.