Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random question........

What would the rarest Enfield accessory be?

Post your opinion, what it does and what type of Enfield it goes with. Example First World War wire cutters for the SMLE no 1 mark 3*.

Posted this in the British gun pub too.

Cheers
Lachy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Straight off the top of my head I would probably say either the No6 trials or the 20rnd mags although someone will be along very soon with something even rarer than these .

·
Registered
254 Posts
20 round trench magazine.

Hiscock-Parker 22 cal magazine.

Hooked quillion 1907 bayonet.

Waisted foresight protector for No4. (Ask Warren!)

Pressed plate cut-offs for trials models No4.

Enfield made back sight for same.

Enfield made cruciform bayonet for trials No4s.

Original backsight for SMLE Mark V, that is not FUBAR and worn out.

Size 4 bolt head for No4.

Sling for L42.

IWS sight bracket for L42.

First pattern charger clips.

Set of taps, dies and tinks for Enfield threads.

The list goes on ..................................

·
Registered
541 Posts
REL spotting scope, case and stand

Greetings All,
I actually found my REL setup on ePay years ago. No one bid on the thing and I asked the seller what he wanted. Turns out it was quite resonable. It was a nice find even if the plastic rear eyepiece has a crack in the plastic. I don't suppose that anyone has an extra one?

Regards,
Michael

·
2,700 Posts
I once mentioned that I had a spare bolthead for a Patt14 No1 .22 Trainer (only 427 of these rifles converted in 1914/15) A bloke in Canada talked me out of it pretty easily. Now I 'spose the spare HT butt and cheekpiece would probably be the rarest bits in my humble collection....Enfieldlock's list is a good start on the "budgies teeth". Have to add the bayo for the No6 XP rifles...

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
The infamous "Flanders Mudflap" for the Sht.L.E. III/III*

Wirecutters and wirebrakers for the Sht.L.E. III/III*

Front volley arm for the P'14 (I really need for my Eddystone!)

Uncut forearm and handguards for the MK V

Forearm and handguards (Especially front) for the Sht.L.E. I and I*

Rarest? The 20 round mags for the Sht.L.E. III/III*

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Many prototype and trials bayonets.
Lattey sights
No5 grenade launcher
Trench rifle periscope rigs....

I'd say anything known of that Warren doesn't already have stashed in his shed has to be the rarest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Greetings All,
I actually found my REL setup on ePay years ago. No one bid on the thing and I asked the seller what he wanted. Turns out it was quite resonable. It was a nice find even if the plastic rear eyepiece has a crack in the plastic. I don't suppose that anyone has an extra one?

Regards,
Michael
Michael

I think the plastic eyecup on your REL spotting scope is the same as fitted to the REL 6 x 30 binoculars and other similar patterns by other makers during WW11 e.g Bosch & lomb. I just took one eyecup of mine and compared to a photo of REL spotting scope I have. To be sure E-Mail me with dimensions and will check. I have seen these eyecups sold on E-Bay brand new surplus before now.

My input for rarest accessory:

Hugh

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not strickly assessories, but worthwhile additions to the list.

A copy of "The Lee-Enfield Rifle" by Reynolds, was the property of the late Herb Woodend and bears his name. A prized possession.

Copies of Skip Stratton's three Enfield books, all signed by him.

Some of Ian Skennerton's SAIS books also signed by the author.

I have been very fortunate to fall over the odd gem; A Patt14 No1 .22 Trainer, £160. A mint original Pattern 1914 Rifle, £40. A very early No4 assembled at Faz from Enfield made components, a total steal.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,861 Posts
Based on all the years I have been fiddling with this stuff, I feel the 20 round magazine and the web belt carrier for the grenade launcher cup are extremely scarce items. While I don't want one in the house, the stand for the Swift rifle is uncommon.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rarest

Everything posted has been found and bought. Rarest Enfield Accessory IMHO
WWI and WWII VETS! Last WWI Brit I knew passed in 83. I still have his Webley Mk VI
ATB

·
Registered
541 Posts
REL eyepiece

Michael

I think the plastic eyecup on your REL spotting scope is the same as fitted to the REL 6 x 30 binoculars and other similar patterns by other makers during WW11 e.g Bosch & lomb. I just took one eyecup of mine and compared to a photo of REL spotting scope I have. To be sure E-Mail me with dimensions and will check. I have seen these eyecups sold on E-Bay brand new surplus before now.

My input for rarest accessory:

Hugh
Thank you for the offer Hugh. I tried emailing but you don't have your account set up to receive emails. Please let me know a good address and I'll sent the specs.
Regards,
Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really accessories but parts.

I was speaking to a fellow collector who was quite elderly and served in World war Two. He said after the war he had a mate in the stores who would give him surplus .303 parts on the quite because he knew he was a shooter. He got quite allot of stuff this way. He showed me two boxes of unopened parts for the No4 rifle with Australian army marks all over them one dated 44 and the other 45. I know there where a few no4's kicking about with the Aussie's but how many people have unopened boxes of spare parts with Australian marking on them!!!!

Anyone have an idea on the value?

Cheers all,
Lachy

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Gallilean sights for the No1
Night sights for the No1
Rod grenade launching cup
flashlight training attachment
target frame for the swift training rifle
Grenade launching sight for the No1
Grenade launching sights for the No5
2 inch grenade discharger cup, (not the 2 1/2 discharger cup)
Grenade discharger cup for the No4
Since the 20 rd mag was already mentioned, the leather case for same

·
Registered
123 Posts
How about a

complete and full armourer's chest MkI for the SMLE MkIII and * with all gauges, dummy parts, tools etc etc? Only ever seen one (1).

Went for NZ 5,500 to a private museum I believe.

As for the list, periscopes aren't that uncommon, about the rearest on the list from where I am is the 20rounder setup, the external magnifying sights, anything Trials (not including the MkV) and the oddity bayonets.

Have had, still have, or could have brought everything else so far.

Still concerned about my night sights set, I went and got a special lead lined sealed box made so they can go under my pillow!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a pic of this one mate?

"complete and full armourer's chest MkI for the SMLE MkIII"

cheers,
Lachy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts