Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a random question........

What would the rarest Enfield accessory be?

Post your opinion, what it does and what type of Enfield it goes with. Example First World War wire cutters for the SMLE no 1 mark 3*.

Cheers
Lachy.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,061 Posts
In Skennerton's book it's mentioned that an exparimental wire-braker was made for the Enfield revolver. I suppose that would be rather high on the list.

I have been looking for a Parker-Hale .22 adapter for the Enfield. That one is high on my list.

The little snap-pads may or maynot be rare but I have not been able to find one for the .380 Enfield. Only examples in .455 so far; maybe I need to look harder.

The low slung "tanker" holster is desireable but not rare. Canadian made tanker holsters are not hard to find. Unaltered English made examples are much harder to find. It seems that most of the English made tanker holsters I have seen were shortened for use high on the hip. This was an official modification, so perfectly ok to have in a collection, but not as desireable as a full tanker w/leg strap.

Boxes of original ammo: Some boxes must be more rare than others.

Best regards,
Greg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Auto loader for .455 webley

What about either of the auto loaders for the .455 Webleys?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The low slung "tanker" holster is desireable but not rare. Canadian made tanker holsters are not hard to find. Unaltered English made examples are much harder to find. It seems that most of the English made tanker holsters I have seen were shortened for use high on the hip. This was an official modification, so perfectly ok to have in a collection, but not as desireable as a full tanker w/leg strap. "

Got both mate and let me tell you how hard it was to bloody found them in Australia. Over here they are like hens teeth and bloody exspensive.

cheers,
Lachy.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,061 Posts
"The low slung "tanker" holster is desireable but not rare. Canadian made tanker holsters are not hard to find. Unaltered English made examples are much harder to find. It seems that most of the English made tanker holsters I have seen were shortened for use high on the hip. This was an official modification, so perfectly ok to have in a collection, but not as desireable as a full tanker w/leg strap. "

Got both mate and let me tell you how hard it was to bloody found them in Australia. Over here they are like hens teeth and bloody exspensive.

cheers,
Lachy.
Lachy, Yes, the tanker holsters are expensive (bought my examples long ago) - however, they were made in large quantities. In any one region, they may be are hard to find. But if anyone is looking, tanker holsters do seem to pop-up on eBay often enough. Not cheap on eBay either.

Fletch: Right: Speed-loaders in .380 were made. Rather expensive if you can find one. They may well qualify as a rare private purchase Enfield revolver accessory!

Best regards,
Greg

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Mine has been well used and blanco'd over the years and so I can't tell who made it. However I have one in '44 pat or '58 pat green marked MECo 1980. It's the only one that I've ever seen. No idea who it was made for.

On the subject of Ebay this is very rare item. At least I've never seen a British Officer so equiped. I guess because only two of the items pictured are British. What a con!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-BRITISH-OF...oryZ4074QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I haven't been on US Ebay for a while but just searching on British Holster has kept me a amused for a while. There's what is claimed to be a Hi-Power holster too. It doesn't look anything like mine. Maybe they issued me the wrong one. Alternatively maybe it's because the US doesn't have a Trades Descriptions Act.

·
Registered
145 Posts
.380 Loader.

A late friend had a .380 Prideaux Loader that he had been given years ago. His son has it now. I have told the current owner that it is worth a bit of money so I hope he is keeping it safe. I saw a .455 one sell for £215 on Ebay a while ago.
Regards
Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Of course the SMLE wire breaker
Gallilean sights for the SMLE
Flanders "mud flap"
20 rd SMLE magazine 10,000 made and all but a few scrapped
SMLE anti aircraft sights (WW1) Saw one at the pattern room
SMLE night sight
launcher for the rod grenade. (got one, chuckle)
2 inch cup discharger (not the 2 1/2 inch one for the mills bomb
Cup discharger for the No4
Spigot grenade discharger for the SMLE (got one of those as well)

Wire cutters for the SMLE can be found but also rare.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great topic! Being a firearms tool and accessory collector I would add to the list the: "Implement, Action, rifle, short, M.L.E., Mark I" and the slightly less scarce modification of same to Mark II.

This unusual 3 armed implement provides a variety of tools "for use in stripping and re-assembling the stock fore-end and action, and testing the length and radius of striker point of "Rifles, short, M.L.-E.," also for stripping and re-assembling the bolt of "Sword-bayonet, pattern 1903" along with other uses.

Later versions of this tool are more common and were made by a variety of manufacturers. Armourers' tool sets included one of these implements and it is also thought that the tool may have been carried by some NCOs.

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Got one! Only five quid at the time from Worldwide Arms Now the things are advertised at over $125 IF you can find one.
I figure they must have found a stash in some forgotton armoury and flogged them off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi John,
5 quid! Aahh such a deal! Do you know which version: Mark I, Mark II or one of the later versions without the indentations opposite each other on the small screwdriver shaft. This indented area was designated as "Tool, expanding magazine link". The last Mark II that I saw sold for $300.00 quite a few years ago. I've never seen a Mark I except in the ordnance manuals.

As far as I know the last bunch of the later versions released a few years ago were those marked with the manufacturer's initials "J.W.S." and are in near excellent condition with a deep blue/black finish. Peter Dyson was selling them for 40 pounds (now long sold out) and still has one shown in the "Original Military Tools" on his website.

OK fellas, what other rare Enfield items are out there?

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Ya made me go out in the shop and look! Markings are very faint but appear to be
CENoTAL The o appears to be superimposed on a capital T
R Sht MLE
Mark on brass pivot washer
crown
L

The small screwdriver blade has two pegs on the other end. which I assume are for removing the nut on the bayonet catch.
There may be other marks but the surface is not smooth and these 70 yr old eyes can't find them with a magnifying glass, though the firing pin protrusion gage markings are clear and easily readable

·
Registered
808 Posts
Odd ball accessories....

A few to make the mouth water...
Martins and Neills Galilean WW I sights. The Martins (in the wooden box) had a name and regimental number under the baize. Have been able to get his service records. THAT is what makes collecting so GREAT !!!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Would an original WWI Winchester A5 (WD marked of course) scope be considered an accessory?

Best, John

·
Gold Bullet member
845 Posts
Going through some of the old posts... I don't know if it would be considered "rare," but I've never seen one of these holsters before. It was up for auction on eBay and it didn't sell, probably because the starting price was too high. What is it? Thank you!

GB

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had a .297-230 Morris tube for an Enfield Carbine once, and figured that was pretty offbeat. By the bye, those wirecutters really work well on single strand barbed wire--cuts through it like butter. Doesn't function quite so well on double strand, though.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts