Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found some interesting, one of kind type Maxim pieces. I really have not had much time to check them out but here is what I have found so far.

First is pictured in Dolf's Book Page 220. Its what he call a firing pin protrusion gauge. This seems odd as the plunger is under heavy spring pressure. So it would seem to be measuring spring pressure too.

Anyway its got the German proofs and is one solid tool.
Machine Machine tool

Machine Machine tool

Metal Machine Steel

Concrete Floor

Second is an unknown tool for the MG08 waterjacket... I think. Its got some shims with it but it does not seem to before the waterjacket drain or the mounting lugs... Any ideas?

Also German proofed and came with the other tool.

I have not really had time to tinker with this tool to figure out what its for... but I will figure it out eventually!

Iron Metal Games

Bumper Metal

Auto part Vehicle

Antique tool Metal Copper Rust

Next is a very early MG08 rear sight. Note the holes in the stem. Its not marked DWM so it would seem to be a Spandau. As DWM seems to mark everything! However one of the latest threads posted on mg42.us is what I think is Spandau MG08 #635. Its got the normal rear sight. This is #688 and its the early style... So I don't know how this works out? There is also one pictured in Dolfs book in the #5xx number range... Note how there is no screw at the top to retain the slide. Its pinned in. Also note the "Stem" that the leaf slides on was much thicker in the later version. Any ideas?

Revolver

Material property Lighter Smoking accessory Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally we have MG08/15 #1467. Since the top cover is unmarked and no fusee was with the kit, I think its safe to assume its a Spandau, mid 1916 (first year) production gun and so very early. All other manufacturers seemed to mark the top covers. I did not take a picture of the top cover yet as its hard to see but its only marked "1467".

As you can see this jacket had a bullet punch in the bottom and buldge the jacket! I think I will keep this one, esp since the trunnion got demilled...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
08 sight is probably for the aircraft 08s or the the Zepplin mounted guns. As I've post here, I have 1908 manufactured DWM MG08 #39 which has the standard style sight which seems to have been used through the entire production of 08s. I haven't come across any evidence that lightened sight ladders were used for the ground guns, which wouldn't have amounted to any weight reduction anyway and would be more fragile.
Interesitng testing devices!

Bob Naess

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob,

What you say about the rear sight being for some time of aircraft does make sense. Of couse why would they change the stem of the sight so much. Its much more than just the holes. The stem has a retaining pin, rather then a retaining screw at the top to limit the leaf sight elevation. Also the cross section of the stem is different, smaller. Finally the LMG rear sights were cut down so they only went out to like 700 yards or so.

Its pretty odd... no pictures showing these rear sights either from what I have seen.

Any ideas on the second tool's use?

Finally whats the best way to get a steam tube out of a MG08/15? I have the hardest time with the steel ones...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Earlier contract Maxims had the pin at the top of the ladder rather than a screw, but not with the holes in the ladder. Brass contract Maxims used the pin at the top as well and the cross section of the ladder is smaller. The sight from a Brass contract Maxim will not fit an 08 ladder as it is too small. Also, both the Nordernfelt and the DWM made brass Maxims have sights that are not maker marked, but do have a serial number. From what you say about the sight, it sounds like it is for a Maxim that predates the 08s. Compare the graduations and see if it is 7.92 or some other caliber.

Heating up the tube threaded boss and letting it cool several times usually will release them, but remember, the boss is soldered to the tube so don't over heat.

Bob Naess

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.