Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,499 Posts
Nice looking revolver. I have always loved the brick sh!thouse looks of the Webley. If you fail to shoot the bad guy, just beat him and his horse to death with your Webley. ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Richard Milner has most of the sales records for the commercial ones. The last sale took place in Feb. 1959, although no new frames had been made for years and many high-numbered ones are ex-military ones with the numbers scrubbed and renumbered.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Richard and Molly and I are good friends. Apparently this one was assembled in 1933 and is no longer shown in the Dec 1935 inventory. Richard thinks this one was included in a sale of 166 MK VIs to "the Crown Agents for the Colonies". While the sale is in the records, the serial numbers were not recorded.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Joel: I was lucky enough to find on in 0.455 and 6" barrel that John Sukey identified as one of a shipment to South Africa in the early 1930s. Not a scrubbed Military, as it had the Winged Bullet trademark. A chap was selling it and a cut 1915 for the same price at the King of Prussia PA gun show around four or so years ago. He did not know what he had so I lucked out. Now days he does not like me "sniffing around his table" as he did some reading on the Webleys. Dave_n

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Joel: I was lucky enough to find on in 0.455 and 6" barrel that John Sukey identified as one of a shipment to South Africa in the early 1930s. Dave_n
6" ? The order for the South African Police was for 4". I do not think that any other .455s were purchased after some second hand Webleys were bought from the War Office in the early 1920s.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It is very interesting that a number of rare commercial MKs were sold directly to Colonial Governments.
Which "rare commercial MKs" do you mean Joel? The Crown Agents supplied commercial Mk IVs to police in South Africa prior to 1910 and the South African Constabulary also bought some in 1905/6. The Union Defence Force also had 6" commercial Mk IVs prior to 1914.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The So African purchase was one of those I was thinking of Peter. I owned this one a number of years ago.

I was very surprised when Richard told me about the mysterious purchase of 166 MK VIs in the 1930s. Its a shame the records don't tell us any more than that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cannot argue as to who / what actually purchased my 6" 0.455 only going by what John S had told me a few years ago. However, with the 161 sales mentioned above, the number ranges fit nicely from data in "Revolvers of the British Services" as to rough dating. Dave_n

1 - 14 of 14 Posts