1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
Sad part is that its not even original.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,549 Posts
Yeah i saw that going and couldn't believe when it hit $700 yesterday. To see the BIN this morning is really something. I have an 1895 Chat Finned rifle also, would I sell it for a grand? Hmm, I don't know, I would think I would be silly not to but the rifle means more to me than cash and I would have to find another. So, perhaps someone felt they really wanted one for their collection. Funny thing is I think that 1895 is the year that they made WAY more than the earlier years.

Now, what about an original one? I would think an original or even restored to original with original sights would go for multiple thousands. $3k sounds about right. So, maybe the Finned rebuild isn't that far off. Beats me. $1k sounds like a lot but perhaps we are seeing a bit of the future. Matter of fact I bought a stone cold mint 1942 Sk.Y. just last night. I am still a bit shocked at what I was willing to pay for it. They certainly are not getting any cheaper.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Wow, I've gotta adjust my insurance coverage if Finn refurb Chat's are now valued at 1k! BeSwift

·
Silver Bullet member
1,110 Posts
Man oh man, that line I used to feed my wife all the time about me buying guns as an investment is becoming more of a reality than I ever believed possible. My collection is doing better than my 401K.
Some items are sure increasing. But, I have been aware of Finn M27s, M28s and M28/30s lately that seem to not sell well at prices they were just going for 6 months ago. I think it was Zampilot that was having trouble getting decent money for his M28/30s lately. Made me pull back from offering a couple of mine. Could be the SA marked Russian stuff is just hotter now.

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
I don't know how the Finnish captured Russian stuff could be hotter. The pure production numbers of the Finnish items is probably smaller in comparison to what they captured. Pure speculation on my part, but the quanitities of the guys they killed compared to themselves, would lead one to believe they captured more than what they had on hand themselves. If anything, I think the market for Finnish guns is on the increase.

As with all things, they have ups and downs. Right now just might be a down period.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Same thing is happening with Finns as happened when I was collecting Civil War relics. You get people with more money than sense in the market, and soon they drive the prices beyond what most people can reach. Then they like to brag about their collection and how YOU can't afford it.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
How many non-scrubbed 1895 French-made 1891s would you estimate are in the U.S.? 200? 1,000? 5,000? More?

Surely far fewer than there are many different USGI or Nazi rifles that regularly bring that much and more.

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
116 Posts
At one time many collectors thought of [SA] as a distraction from the original piece. Through the years on this sight I have seen big bucks (at the time) going at auctions for Finns and being called Crazy. These prices now are stated as (deals) buy a lot of the same people that once called it Crazy. I don't think this is that far out of line. I wise I would have hung on to some of my good ones but they went to good homes and I'm still reading about some of them (tears). Let this be a lesson to you guys, hang on to them even if your interest changes because they will be HARD to replace.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,549 Posts
How many non-scrubbed 1895 French-made 1891s would you estimate are in the U.S.? 200? 1,000? 5,000? More?

Surely far fewer than there are many different USGI or Nazi rifles that regularly bring that much and more.

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
As always...well stated.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Holy crap! Me thinks I will hold on to my early Mosins a bit longer.....

Ten years ago the thought of ANY Mosin bringing that kind of money would have been sheer lunacy. But then again, I remember buying Finn M27's all day long for $150 bucks.

Sadly, I am forever stuck in the 80's..........(pre-Clinton era)

Kind regards, ARG

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,904 Posts
Other considerations..................

Yo Gents,

Don't forget to consider the possibility that Finnish marks are of no consequence what so ever to the buyer. The rifle is still in Imperial M91 configuration even if it isn't a completely original Chatellerault. In addition, there are many non-C&R holders who will pay a premium for antique dated weapons so they can avoid all of the additional transfer fees.

While I would not pay this much for this rifle personally, I have seen a marked increase in pricing on WWI collectables in recent years. I have many Finn marked rifles that I bought for their Imperial markings or as Austro-Hungarian or German capture pieces. I could care less about the Finnish markings and wish they weren’t there! But that didn’t put me off buying many of these rifles when they were selling for $30 to $50!

Another factor is the fact that the last several large lots of M91s came in years ago from the Balkans and have pretty much been absorbed by the collecting and shooting public. Most of the recent imports have been 91/30s or post WWII carbines. Imperial M91s let alone Chatelleraults don’t turn up as frequently like they used to.

There are a lot of different factors to consider in terms of why this rifle went so high. Chatelleraults are desirable pieces and perhaps there were two Gents who simply wanted this rifle that badly. Like it or not, prices are gradually going up and will most likely continue to do so unless of course we head into a major recession.

Just my $ .02 worth on the subject.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Gold Bullet member
1,451 Posts
I agree with JPS.

I know a local collector who is heavily into WW1 pieces and has some very rare examples of Great War rifles, pistols etc...

He owns two particular rifles that I highly covet - an excellent original condition Tula 1914 M91 and an excellent totally original Remington 1916 M91. Both are Finn marked but have no Finnish modifications. To me they are highly desireable because they are Finnish marked - to him they are WW1 Imperial Russian rifles in original condition.

To each his own...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.