Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mag
Posted - 09/01/2003 : 12:36:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our club had a WWI rifle rapid fire match today, All you can shoot at a man sized target at 100 yards in 60 seconds. The M-91 Carcano long rifle got off 18 aimed shots in the time. An interesting note, many of the different type rifles had jams or clip reloading problems. The M-91 had none, PLUS it had a case head separation that did not even stop it. I saw the short case leave the gun as the bolt hit back, the jar must have brought the front half of the case part way back out of the chamber. As I was slamming the bolt forward the next round just pushed it straight up and out. The best Enfield only got off 20 rounds. I did have my 4th clip in and the bolt closed on my 19th round as the cease fire was called. mag

mag
Posted - 09/02/2003 : 12:20:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was a blast. We had 23 rifles shot in the match, mostly different types. A Lebel of all things got 2nd place. 18 shots of in 60 seconds. The rifles were limited to WWI types. You should have heard the noise! I should have taped it. mag

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you start with a full weapon or empty and then load to start? Starting "topped up" would give the Enfield folks an edge. That and they are a quick working rifle.
I have the "ringer" to use next time...
Winchester M95 Russian contract. It uses Mosin stripper clips to load. I ran 60 rounds through my two weeks ago, fun rifle. Even better, how about a '73 musket (Turk), that one has 15 in the tube to start with...

Dino in Reno

·
Registered
708 Posts
I do not know why this old post was put back up, but it looks like Dino's question is current so I will answer. The match was shot with WWI rifles only. Yes the rifles started out "Topped up ", and they had to reload as they would of in combat use. The point was to see how they stacked up head to head. We counted shots fired but only scored a hit on the target as a point towards winning the match. mag

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carcano M 1938 Short Rifle (7,35mm) Wins Match !

Here is another match report:

Jeremy
Posted - 03/06/2005 : 8:51:00 PM
Had a Vintage Military Match this weekend and took my $60 cracked stock SA marked 7.35mm M38 carcano to it.
Ended up taking 1st place in the 30-shot "Garand" match with a 263-3x! It was a close match as the 2nd and 3rd place scores were 262-3x and a 262-0x, 2nd place shooter had a Garand and the 3rd had a 1916 dated Lebel.

Also shot in the 20 round slow prone match, came in 2nd on that. A Swiss k-31 with match sights beat me on that with a 197-3x to my 192-1x. All matches were at 200yds.

Was a great event and I hope the get the M41 shooting this well for the next one!

200yd slow prone target:

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Jeremy/200536205029_MVC-492F.JPG
Download Attachment:
51.84 KB

airdale
Posted - 03/06/2005 : 11:58:35 PM
Good shooting! I hope this puts some of that Carcano poor accuracy myths to rest.
My M41 likes 37grs. Win760 with the Hornady 160gr .268 dia bullets and WLRM primers.
Good luck on your next shoot.

DMala
Posted - 03/11/2005 : 07:49:47 AM
Congratulations, that was great!

I also have been recently getting good results with a 7.35mm short rifle. The nice thing is that it was a restoration project, which required complete stripping of the little blue left, reblueing (cold), adding a missing bayo lug, and work on the trigger group and elevator spring. Despite a rough bore, accuracy seems quite satisfactory now.

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/DMala/200531174936_M38SR_TargetMarch05.jpg
Download Attachment:
70.52 KB

The following targets are first Jeremy's, then DMala's:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts