1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic author: mkamer
Subject: Range visit with 19# spring
Posted on: 06/07/2006 01:34:02 AM

Took my Russian Mak with it's new 19# spring from makarov.com to the range today and really enjoyed it. Maybe it's just me but the 19# spring seemed to make a big difference in recoil. Mak felt easier to get back on target after each round. I'm a happy newbie! Now I just need to keep working on accuracy.

BTW, if anyone doesn't yet have a magazine loader from makarov.com, you must invest a few bucks in one. Makes a huge difference in an enjoyable shoot.

Replies:

Reply author: esignup
Replied on: 06/07/2006 02:49:03 AM
Mine (mag loader) is on the way also from Makarov.com , although I placed an order for the 21# spring.
I'll try to post a before and after (spring change) report also.

Question... the spring change was smooth? I just got my Bulgie... got it today!

esignup

Reply author: mkamer
Replied on: 06/07/2006 2:28:20 PM
The spring change is a snap. Take the slide off and remove the recoil spring surrounding barrel, replace with new spring. Note the the springs ends are different. The narrower side goes on first. Easy mods like this are part of the brilliance of the Makarov design. It's just plain simple and effective. (And that's good for this new guy. )

Reply author: logansdad
Replied on: 06/07/2006 10:42:18 PM
Like mkamer says, parts changes on the Mak are a snap. The hardest thing I've ever encountered was reseating the triggerguard pivot pin after a barrel change. Now that is an absolute monster! Second hardest is the extractor removel and reinstallation, but even it is relatively easy with some practice.

Reply author: Teakwood
Replied on: 06/08/2006 07:32:40 AM
I too find that the 19# spring lessens the shock and seems to make it easier to keep the pistol on target.

Replied on: 06/08/2006 07:53:21 AM
Sooooo the 21# spring I,ve purchased would that make the recoil even less, while shooting, or is it for higher powered ammo? How high of a spring number is there.

Thanks for helping with these questions,

Esignup

Reply author: steve98664
Replied on: 06/08/2006 10:23:16 PM
I've been using my 19 spring on different types of ammo for some time. I'm still throwing brass pretty far. I think that I might try a 21# at some point. S&B is the softest ammo I use.

Reply author: criticalbass
Replied on: 06/10/2006 09:51:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by logansdad

Like mkamer says, parts changes on the Mak are a snap. The hardest thing I've ever encountered was reseating the triggerguard pivot pin after a barrel change. Now that is an absolute monster! Second hardest is the extractor removel and reinstallation, but even it is relatively easy with some practice.

(some of text colored)

logansdad, you are right about the triggerguard pivot pin. It's the toughest (fortunately it's not necessary very often).

If one has fairly strong hands and an assistant, it can be a snap. For those who don't already know, the pin is "stepped" and can not be just driven out. Damage to the pin and possibly the frame will be the result.

The trick is to push up on the triggerguard, compressing the T.G. spring just enough to take the pressure off the pin without going too far, and pushing the pin out with just about anything. A toothpick will do because a properly aligned pin offers almost zero resistance. Resist the temptation to whack it.

Here is a bar clamp which really makes the job easier. It is padded, and can be operated with one hand while you apply gentle pressure to the pin with the other hand.

As with the extractor, practice helps. Of the ten or so triggerguards I have revoved, only one, a Bulgarian of gunshow purchase background, had a problem. The T.G. spring and the recess had heavy rust (none on the rest of the gun). It was so bad I replaced the spring, though it was not really necessary. (Got a bunch of spares)

The clamps like the above picture can be found at about any hardware store. They aren't usually cheap, but are one of the handiest tools I own. CB

Reply author: lee1959
Replied on: 06/10/2006 9:09:30 PM
I replaced the recoil spring with the #21 from Makarov.com because I had read that a weak spring can hammer the slide and frame to death. Being my first blowback pistol I went higher just to make sure of not damaging the pistol as I do shoot a lot. It made a difference, in a very nice shooting pistol to begin with. I never felt much recoil to start with as my favorite handun off all is my Redhawk in .44 mag.

I also replaced all the magazine springs with new springs because the slide stop was not working every time, that and a good cleaning of the magazines took care of it and now it works like a charm.

Replied on: 06/11/2006 01:20:01 AM
Lee,

Welcome to the Makarov forums board!

Thanks for the info on the #21 spring. Did you use any special ammo while at the range?

Thanks again,
esignup

Reply author: wrangler5
Replied on: 06/11/2006 12:20:04 PM
For general info, I have 21# springs in all my Maks, so I don't have to think about which one to use if I want to shoot some of the hot 115g stuff. But I also load soft "plinker" rounds with 93g lead bullets for just foolin' around.

I have gotten reliable functioning with a 21# spring with loads down to as low as 650fps. At that level, the ejected cases pretty much land on your shoes. In fact, it isn't enough power to fully expand the case against the chamber wall, and there's a fair bit of soot that comes back into the innards of the gun as well as out between the slide and frame to leave a little black line on your trigger finger. But you can shoot 'em all day and not feel it, plus it's easy to pick up your brass.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts