Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the weather finally cooperated and I was able to take out my new Double rifle (aka, double barrel shotgun with inserts) out to the range. As well as shooting in shotgun mode, I tried the 45-70 inserts, 410 insert and 9mm insert. Accuracy pics are as follows.

White Shooting sport Recreation Circle Shooting
Circle Shooting sport Spiral Recreation Shooting
Shooting sport Circle Recreation Spiral Shooting
Tool

The first picture is the 45-70, my accuracy impression at 50 yards is something like "minute of Elephant"! I was rather disappointed at its accuracy. I mentioned my displeasure to someone familiar with doubles and they asked "where is my point of impact...???? Point of impact??? its at the target ...where else would it be? "No, stupid.... at what distance do the bullets meet?). I never heard of this! I thought all double barrels were parallel. Firing only one barrel did give me a better grouping. I will have to practice this one.

The second target is 410 shotgun 000 buckshot. Pretty much what I expected except that these inserts are plastic and the expended rounds do not come out easily, I had to punch them out at home. Steel inserts would work better, but then steel ones are about $35....plastic are about $3 .

The most fun I had was with the 9mm even though the barrel is 2 inches or less it was relatively accurate. My second string was much better because I was getting used to it. The best accuracy was with shooting the 9mm thru the right barrel with the 45-70 insert in the left barrel for weight.

Reloading was not as bad as I expected, with a little practice you can open the gun partially, just enough so the insert catches the rear receiver, then bump the stock on the bench and the brass just pops out.

I will probably go out and buy a couple more, probably 45 Long Colt and maybe 30-30. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the website location....I will wait for a Moderator to give me the go ahead first.

ps... this idea was for SURVIVAL, not firefights. If you need a 30 round magazine, you have additional problems.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Good report.
I have a .410 insert but haven't fired it yet, I got it to use as a teaching tool for young kids so they can learn to fire the 12 guage without all the recoil.

For the cost and ease of storage, these inserts seem like a good method to maximize your ability to use different types of ammo without having to buy a lot of different pieces.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,347 Posts
Thanks for the range report. Looks like one of the 45-70 barrel is key-holing it's rounds. The results with the 9mm are much better than I would have expected. If you get more adaptors please keep us posted on the results.

·
Administrator
18,342 Posts
Go ahead and post the website. In fact if you duplicate your post about the inserts along with this follow-up range report on the shotgun forum I'm sure it will be appreciated there as well. The general rule about posting a company's info on gunboards, as far as I know, is it's OK to do so as long as 1) you're not affiliated with the company and don't make a habit of mentioning them repeatedly or out of context and 2) it's not a product that would compete with anything our paid sponsors are selling. If you are affiliated with the company you would need to talk to Vic or Tuco about becoming a sponsor.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the range report. Looks like one of the 45-70 barrel is key-holing it's rounds. The results with the 9mm are much better than I would have expected. If you get more adaptors please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks for reminding me. I used a 400 grain cast bullet that I made and I kept the load moderate because of other older guns that I also sho. Maybe I will increase the charge in order to stabilize.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.