Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after 5 weeks of having my LMG. I finally got to try it out. I'm happy to report my 99 ran flawlessly. The only hiccups I had were several pierced primers. One case head separation that was self removed when the next cartridge ran up inside the stuck case in the chamber. When the gun stopped, retracting the charging handle pulled everything out and the gun was again operational. I shot over 300 rounds before the rain came. My load of 45.0 grains of IMR 4895 worked very well and was more than enough to keep the 99 humming. My son captured some video on his I phone. If I can post I will later. I learned one thing during my live fire. I can appreciate what our soldiers who faced the weapons went through. They were very brave young men. The 99 LMG is a first rate weapon built like a tank. I would not want to face one in any battle situation. It's obsolete by modern standards but it reamains a classic LMG of WWII vintage.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Big Ed, glad you had fun with it, how did that mag work you got from me,I will get you some pictures of the other stuff this week,just been a little sore, back problems, any who , hope you had a blast,

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Big Ed, glad you had fun with it, how did that mag work you got from me,I will get you some pictures of the other stuff this week,just been a little sore, back problems, any who , hope you had a blast,
Mike,
I left the real pretty mag I got from you home. It's like new and I'll just sit on that one awhile.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed, If your not going to use my mag, then you have to put the sand back in it, the rest of it is just like the mag, just so you know,
Mike,
I didn't say I would never use it. LOL I was swapping bolts, op rods, and barrels to see what would work and what didn't. I had lots of parts to play with. Next time I go I'll know what to bring and what stays home. It's a 5 hour ride one way so I try to condense.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Ed, glad to hear that you got to shoot your T-99 and had good results with it. What gas port setting did you use?
A five hour ride! Yikes! I hope to check out the local range tomorrow and join up. $30 per year ain't bad and they allow full auto according to the fella that works there in our phone conversation. The best part is that it's only around 6-7 miles away! Gotta love Arizona :)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Rob,
I never moved it off #1 It spit the brass out about 4-5 feet to my right in a nice easy to pick up pile.
Cool, mine will probably run on that setting after the cleaning I've given it. Of course, I don't have the receiver yet and will give it a good detailing as well when I get it. Should be about half way into my "wait" now.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
Great you had a good time. I attempted to post this before but who knows what happened.

I have had multiple primer puntures with Milsurps. These were designed for very hard primers and many commercial primer will puncture. I was told to use Tula primers as they were very hard. I bought 1000 so hopefully I will test that soon. If I had primer punctures, I would be looking for for a harder primer. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get you had a good time. I attempted to post this before but who knows what happened.

I have had multiple primer puntures with Milsurps. These were designed for very hard primer and many commercial primer will puncture. I was told to use Tula primers as they were very hard. I bought 1000 so hopefully I will test that soon. If I had primer punctures, I would be looking for for a harder primer. Good luck.
Mike,
Not all my primers were pierced. I would rather pierce a few primers than break a firing pin. I was using Don's S repro firing pin in my spare bolt. It worked perfect and the fit was exact to my bolt. I'm saving my original firing pin.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
The firing pin is pretty beefy on these weapons but I should get one of Don's reproductions for shooting, just in case.
The mechanism in these weapons is pretty fascination. The "hammer" is actually part of the gas piston & rod assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
The firing pin is pretty beefy on these weapons but I should get one of Don's reproductions for shooting, just in case.
The mechanism in these weapons is pretty fascination. The "hammer" is actually part of the gas piston & rod assembly.
Actually it is quite common in open bolt rifle caliber LMGs for the hammer to be part of the op rod. Notable guns with similar designs are the ZB26, Zb30, Bren, BAR (kind of), and many other I'm too tired to think of right now.

Is he still making repro firing pins?

I have many extras but they are all original and I would rather nor use them up out of the gunners kit I have.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rob,
The little bar on the bolt side (shown in your picture) keeps the firing pin held back until the proper time to fire the weapon. It accomplishes this task by a simple slot in the side of the receiver. These truly are very ingenious weapons.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is he still making repro firing pins?

I have many extras but they are all original and I would rather nor use them up out of the gunners kit I have.[/QUOTE]

I would also like to know if he is making them ?? I would like a extra

Sharky

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Rob,
The little bar on the bolt side (shown in your picture) keeps the firing pin held back until the proper time to fire the weapon. It accomplishes this task by a simple slot in the side of the receiver. These truly are very ingenious weapons.
Thanks Ed,
I'm sure I'll understand it more better when I have the receiver. Six months into the "wait"

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
This is where it all started for me, I got a chance to shoot this one and had to add one to my collection.. NFA Branch is telling me February 2015. Wait Wait Wait....
Enjoy the Video!!

http://youtu.be/dnUuZik9zKE

Sharky
Nice video. When did you start your paperwork?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
It went " Pending " April 17th and was told it didn't matter that it was going to my C&R License.. Figured since
it was going to my C&R would speed things up.. I was wrong I guess
I just called and mine went "pending" in January & it would take about 10 months after that, so I'm looking at November. I put my C&R info on the application as well and, no, it doesn't seem to matter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts