Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK...deathmatch was an exageration!

My most recent rifle purchases needed a basic function test so I cleaned them up and took them to the range for a friendly competition. The diffrerence in bullet sizes made it easy to see the results. Luckily for me, the Seatle police didn't rush to the scene in swat gear and M16's, screeming at me to drop my weapons and soot me dead before I had a chance to actually drop them...WHEW!

The first is a M91/30 Tula MO triple dated 27/48/51. Bore seems nice and trigger is pretty decent. In nice condition and I only paid $129.00 at Gander Mountain. It has a few interesting stock repairs I "arrowed" in the pictures. I used the cheapest Bulgarian ammo dated 1953 with about 150 grain bullet.

The second contestant was a Mossberg M43(B???) .22 bolt action from 1937/38. It has a No. 4, adjustable aperture, peep sight, but the front ramp sight blades are a little loose so it didn't hold zero vgery well. Nice walnut stock and a bull barrel and light trigger pull. Paid only $250.00 (good deal?) I used high velosity .22 remington just to soot it up - not the most accucate in most guns I think.

I shot at 50 yards which I would suppose the .22 might have a slight advantage??? I didn't want to bring lots of equipment, so I just used elbows on the the wood shooting benches. No bench rest stands.

It looks like a tie to me at 50 yards, hand held. Not very scientific I know. Still getting the hang of the peep sights on the .22. 91/30 sould be superior 125yds and beyond. Am I right on this?

Here are the pics.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably me.....I am not a great marksman. I think there must be some skill to using peep sights. I am told that with a nice peep sight adjusted properly, they are as nice as scopes. Cheap peep sights might not be very nice/easy to use. The Mossberg is kinda cool - you rotate a disk and you get 4 choices of peep hole sizes, But I suppose a nice Lyman or Redfield would be superior.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Looks like you had a fun day at the range. :D

Iron sights can take some getting used too. I just relax my eyes and look through the sight. What I mean is my eye is aware of the alignment of the sight but it's not focusing on the sight it's on the target. If that makes sense. :confused:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Those old Mossbergs are very accurate, but with the loose front sight posts(you may need to remove, clean & tighten them), unfamiliarity with the sights & cheap ammo,your shooting will suffer.
Practice, practice, practice!:D
You are not alone in your attraction to rifles that start with "M"! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.