Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took last Friday's IMA Store purchase to the range, this morning. (Falls Township Rifle & Pistol Association, Falls Twp. Pa.). This rifle created alot of interest among those present and all were curious to see how it would perform. I put the first round in (Ten-X) and gauged the head space. Couldn't even coax the .004 gauge in, so we were good to go. I selected 75 yards, just to hopefully get on the paper. Well, everybody wanted to take a shot and the end result was ten rounds fired, among four guys, with the last two, printing an inch apart. All primers were perfectly struck. The correct point of aim turned to be just below the black circle on a 100 yard target, with the rear sight in the battle position. The top of the front sight level with the rear notch.

Bottom line, the MH performed beautifully. It's hard to believe that it just picked from where it left off, one hundred years ago, as though no time had passed.

I can't afford to shoot Ten-X, so I'm waiting for the 60 rounds to arrive from Gad Custom Cartridges ($45.00/20 rounds) and I'll report on those.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,762 Posts
It tends to attract attention among other shooters - doesn't it ? :)

Let us know how it performs with the ammo from Gad .....pretty curious about them. Price isn't bad - considering we are talking about M-H ammo.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have shot most of a box of Gad .577-450 ammo, and am well pleased. All went boom, with a large amount of acrid smoke, and some even hit the general direction of what I was shooting at. (Not the ammo's fault-I just tend to flinch a little when I'm first shooting a gun that has been sitting in a barn for about a hundred years.)

When the box is empty, I'm sending the hulls back to Gad for reloading. I would recommend the ammo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still waiting for the 60 rounds that I ordered from Gad. It really hasn't been all that long (4 weeks), especially if he loads to order. Barnside, were your cartridges loaded with conventional black powder? I would really prefer a substitute. I don't know whose brass he is using. The box of Ten-X that I bought was a thing of beauty. Top flight Jamison brass, coated bullets, loaded with Pyrodex. They arrive in a plastic case that is foam cushioned at the base end of the cartridges. Very posh. All you have to do is cough up $115.00 (from IMA), as opposed to $139.00 from Ten-X. Either way, ouch! Oh, Ten-x will reload them for $55.00, plus shipping, so with continuing amortization the cost per round begins to fall. I must be crazy, but I do love these rifles.

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
Why do you want a substitute powder?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Barnside, you actually shot one of these guns? Was it one from the Nepal cache? I'm fixing up the first of a few Martini Henrys, and I'm just getting to the "buying ammo" point as it approaches completion. I'm going to have to find out more about this ammo. I looked on the IMA website, and there's a page called, "Martini Henry Ammunition", but there's no REAL ammo for any gun listed on the page. It's all dummy ammo.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I for one try to avoid the substitutes - they are as a general rule both more corrosive and expensive - so it for sure won't be better for either rifle or brass. BP is 'kinder' to both, so why bother?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,762 Posts
Barnside, you actually shot one of these guns? Was it one from the Nepal cache? I'm fixing up the first of a few Martini Henrys, and I'm just getting to the "buying ammo" point as it approaches completion. I'm going to have to find out more about this ammo. I looked on the IMA website, and there's a page called, "Martini Henry Ammunition", but there's no REAL ammo for any gun listed on the page. It's all dummy ammo.
IMA used to have Ten-x ammo on their site. I almost ordered some a while back, and just recently when i decided that now would be the time I was unable to find it on their site

·
Registered
132 Posts
Last week we sold out of both our Ten-X M-H ammo and Snider Ammo. We have more on order from Ten-X but it looks like it will be at least 4 months before we get more back in stock.

IMA-USA

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being relatively new to these rifles, it was my assumption that black powder substitutes demonstrate the same characteristics as black powder, but that they are cleaner. If this is not the case, I have learned something new. There must be alot more people shooting these rifles, for Ten-X to be that far behind. I'm still waiting for my order from Gad.

·
8,105 Posts
Being relatively new to these rifles, it was my assumption that black powder substitutes demonstrate the same characteristics as black powder, but that they are cleaner. If this is not the case, I have learned something new. ..............
Learning "something new" is a good thing, especially in this case. Stick to black powder, it is much easier to clean a firearm and cases that have been firing BP than any of the substitutes and it is also safer than modern smokeless - too easy to make a mistake and accidentally overcharge a cartridge with smokeless. Also, accuracy is excellent with the BP.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes, My-Rifle,

I have shot all three of my Martini-Henrys from the Nepal Cache with Gad black powder ammo. All three shot well. Two ejected well. But, with the third, the case stuck in the chamber. It was dirtier than it first looked. A bit of Flitz, and it now works well.

The Gad ammo cases are formed from 24 guage brass shells. There are stacks of threads on balloon cases vs. solid cases. Considering the minimal amount of shooting I will (unfortunately) do (five kids somewhat limits one's time & money), I don't worry about the differences.

Take yours out and shoot 'em.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Wow. You're my hero, man. I happen to know that you have young kids too. I get about 2 hours per week to work on my guns - all of them. I think you know how many that is :) With so little time, and wanting to do my repairs right, I've only managed to finish a Gahendra, a Snider and a Brunswick smooth bore. The current Martini Henry project is the first antique rifle I've really wanted to shoot, though the Snider intrigues me. I'm just a bit afraid of shooting the Nepalese copies, since I don't know what the standards of their metallurgy were. Also given the constraints placed upon me by wife and child I've had exactly two range trips this year, and I had to sneak one of them in during a business trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts