Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another brilliant idea spawned of boredom sitting here without any customers. Can a PSL rail be mounted to a Mak-90 stamped model? I haven't looked at mine in awhile, but the reason for the PSL/SKS rail is an economic one. I only have to buy one kind of scope, red dot, etc... for the PSL and Mak. No chance on the Tantal, as the stupid thumb selector only He Man can work is in the way. How much does a competent smith or otherwise charge for this type of deal? I usually do all my own smithing, but this is something, if done, that I don't wanna F up.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
Well., sort of. First off a PSL rail is spot welded to the receiver. This in itself takes a spot wekder with the appropriate tips to reach the tight areas. A PSL or Tabuk rail can be used and drilled out and riveted into place. It must be set high enough to allow the PSOP/PSO scope to clear the receiver cover and the rear sight ladder. The larger POSP scopes in 8X etc. will not likely be able to be used as the larger objective lense will not clear the rear sight.. The SVD scope used on a PSL sits lower and further to the rear to accommodate the larger receiver on the PSL.
So..., it can be done but you need to have the skills or find someone who knows the AK platform. Not rocket science but thakes some honest thinking to get the clearance, river placement (not interfering wityh the rqails or action parts) and the proper eye relief. I have not done a Chinese but have on a Yugo rifle and added a Tabuk style rail. Which is quite similar to a PSL style.
Not sure that answers the question but there ya go.:)

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
I wouldn't drill a MAK-90 unless its had mods beyond just changing the furniture. It and many other early AKs are becoming collectible.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
While the Chinese AK variants have a mystique and a following resulting in the MAK's becoming more sought after.., it is mostly to mod them into pre ban clones. But I agree, leaving it alone or a pre ban mod is likely to enhance value vs detract ., as drilling or welding a scoope rail will do.
But it is a $550 firearm and not a $1500 to $2000 pre ban Chinese type 56.
Each to their own,.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I would have someone rivet it on and would only use the PKA and my Romy scope.I guess I'll just buy a WASR and the adaptors from Kalinka to accomodate my choices of optics. I don't really like the idea of welding the rail on, so I'm not going to do it. I have plenty of scoped rifles to play with that I suspect will outshoot my Mak.

New question. If I get the adaptor from Kalinka, how bad will it change my zero? Dumb answer. It is different calibers, so it would change no matter what. I guess I answered that one.

I was an idea man yesterday, but I don't think I will waste money possibly dicking up my favorite rifle at this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.