Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
I recently spoke with a researcher and the traditional method of dividing the number produced by the number of months produced is very seriously flawed. Some months they made less than 100, others thousands. There is some information on production from 39-43 and late 44. Much of the rest is lost. There were serious interruptions in production with one bombing stopping all barrels from being available and the moving of the machinery from Radom to Steyr. Plus, parts were outsourced and the guns were originally made in "kits" shipped to Steyr who made the barrels, assembled and inspected them. In other words, you may never know but you should never accept a guess unless the serial number is revealed.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
The Z guns are very interesting. They come in at an interesting transition. I assume it has large screw brown grips and no grip screw bushing. This is the time them did away with such features as well as the take down latch. It is probably late 43 early 44 IMO. Most certainly, we do not know exactly.

It always amazes me how curious folks are about the production date of their firearm. To know to an approximation seems logical but so many folks want to know exactly. Such information is rarely available and rarely accurate. Many makers did keep records of shipping dates, like Colt. That is not a production date, and Colt's record are much better than most. It is also interesting that folks want to know what every little marking means. For the most part these minor marking's meanings are small/insignificant and are not even known. The VIS pistols have a bunch of strange "lucky charms" stampings. Plus they have a number under the grips and under the hammer release, probably inventory and control related. Most stamping's meanings are unknown. It must be the cat thing, we are curious, even if it kills us.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. As an added note the name and serial number of the soldier that brought it back is written on the underside of the holster flap. I also found a piece of paper jammed into the bottom of the spare mag slot on the holster with the same info. The piece of paper is in bad shape but you can still read it.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,725 Posts
Was given a nice pamphlet by the Radom rep last shot show. He was keen to point out the new VIS was supposedly being made and the history of the originals. The information tells of how Nazis couldn't stop workers from stealing parts for the resistance so they shipped out parts elsewhere to be assembled. They also hung workers from factory gates for stealing as well. May explain way serials may not may sense on these.

More info in this thread

http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/238273-polish-radom-pistol-fascinating-history.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.