Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, a friend of mine just hauled home a couple of these sniper rifles and here what he said: there were about 30 rifles in store and 8 were Tula, 22 were Izhevsk. Mostly 1944, a few 1943s. 50% scopes/mounts are refurbed, 50% are non-refurb, but all of them are original WW2, not repros; some early ones and most 1943,44, two or three SVT scopes. Some rifles have original matching bolts and other parts, some have matching bolts and receivers only, some have old numbers polished off and new numbers without prefix stmaped to match receivers, same applies to the other parts. Some stocks have visible cartoches, many don't have anything at all visible after numerous refurbs.
Some Izevsks have all ORiGINAL matching parts, many don't . No Tulas had all matching parts. All bolts are original sniper bent bolts, not a welded ones. Most bores are in VG-Excellent condtion. Import marks are on the top of receiver. Here are pics of Izhevsk and later will post Tula. Roger said he is going to rise prices depending on rifle conditions/configurations effective tomorrow.

Hope you all enjoy my thread!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are pics of Tula 1944 CH marked. It has matching parts: receiver, bolt and buttplate. Floor plate has been stamped with different dies to match. Mount is stamped as well, but orginal Tula made - the star is still visible on the picture. BTW, only a couple of rifles have heavy trigger pull, the rest are like you would expect from Russian made sniper or some regular Finn capture tuned by Finns- excellent.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One interesting detail: one of 1944 CH Tulas had the same prefix as my friends CAI refurb 1944 Tula CH sniper he bought eight years ago - these rifles are about 400 numbers apart. And now I wonder if they were sitting in the same warehouse for many years or it is a coincidence...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
One interesting detail: one of 1944 CH Tulas had the same prefix as my friends CAI refurb 1944 Tula CH sniper he bought eight years ago - these rifles are about 400 numbers apart. And now I wonder if they were sitting in the same warehouse for many years or it is a coincidence...
So did you get the Tula, or both? :)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He got two Tula and two Izehvsk: both Izhevsk have all original serial numbered matching parts - just the same parts they left factory. Tulas have original matching, non-restamp bolts, both CH marked. BTW many rifles have been mated more than once to different scopes/mounts - you can tell that from seeing two or three x-ed-out previous scope numbers on the left side, and it is not only on Izhevsk rifles but on Tulas as well.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Is that CAI sniper a repro? If it is I'd say the two rifle were LONG since seperated, the CAI being refurbed as a regular 91/30 then CAI cobled back into a sniper, it's a coincidence he got them so many years apart with such a close number.
If it's an original I'd still guess they've been long seperated. Rolling out the factory door the crate with the CAI could have gone to a unit 200 miles north and the RGuns rifle 200 miles south. Again a coincidence, pretty cool one though.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, CAI rifle is original refurbed sniper sold eight or more years ago, it has original sniper bolt with only number on it, no prefix, all other parts have only digits of serial number without prefixes as well. The same way are some of R-Guns rifles -both Tula and Izhevsk.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,559 Posts
OH YA!

Thanks, Lenscrafter for the review! I'll have to wait about a week before my rifle arrives, but now I know pretty much what to expect. Do you have a pic of the scope number on the left side of the bbl shank, on the Izhevsk? You say some of the Tulas have a scope number as well?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is an overstamped year of production Tula CH marked rifle with original, non-refurbed scope, base and mount. The parts are matching the way old CAI sniper MNs were: only numbers, no prefixes. No markings at all on stock.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Capnduane,

Here is picture you wanted to see. My buddy says when he was going to visit R-Guns he was not planning to pick-up Izhevsk rifles because he is sceptical of credibility of many IZhevsk snipers as original because they are not marked "CH" like many Tulas and it is easier to fake them, but when he held them at his hands and checked everything, he bought two all matching.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
After we checked again and again the rifles, my buddy would like to correct himself and say that R-Guns sold sniper rifles can be roughly divided into a few categories:

1. totally matching original parts refurbed in some way rifles with original non-refurb scopes/mounts
2. original matching bolt and receiver refurbed in some way rifles with original non-refurb scopes/mounts
3. rifles with matching parts, but no prefixes on parts, only digits of the serial numbers with original, non-refurb scopes/mounts
4. rifles with matching parts, but no prefixes on parts, only digits of the serial numbers with original, but refurbed scopes/mounts - the same type of the MN sniper rifles sold by other distributors many years ago.

There are other factors that affect value: types and makers of scopes; year stamped on stock; year of manufacture; manufacturer; type of refinish of metal and stock; some cleaning rods are in white, non-refurbed; and others factors that you can add to this list.
So since old imported verified sniper refurbs (equal to category 4) are going nowdays at about $800, Tulas maybe even more, I'd say that $800 is a right price for category 4 rifles since: all bolts checked today were original non-welded sniper bolts; all optics checked today were in excellent condition as well as barrels even on least attractive rifles.
I think these rifles will give a lot of info to collectors and will show that not every previous known facts about MN snipers are 100% correct. I am sure that someone can write a small brochure or even a book about MN snipers just from researching this R-Guns imported lot.
This is just quick rough analysis and I am sure that more facts and opinions will come up later from other Forum members.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts