Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Columbian Mauser (FN made). It has a .30 stamped on the receiver bridge. 30.06? The barrel is a serial number match to the receiver and 30.06 does chamber with no problems. I'm just looking for confirmation from you experts out there before I take it out and shoot it. This is Mauser #17 for me now and would be the first in 30.06 that wasn't a re-barreled sporter(which I usually ignore). Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Jack
IBBG (I Buy Broken Guns)

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
?Colombian .30 Mauser?

Is your rifle marked with the Full FN addy on left siderail? Then it is a M1950 FN Comombian contract, made new in .30/06.(up to five digit serial number)
If your rifle has a "F.xxxxx" Serial Number, has NO addy on left side (or a complete "Steyr Solothurn" addy,) AND has a "R.FAMAGE 1952" mark on the right side of the receiver ring,
then it is a Colombian 1930s Mauser rebuild from 7mm to .30/06 ( ex Steyr M1912, Steyr M29, FN M30,CZ Vz24). Also marked ".30" on rear bridge.

Nice rifles; sadly a lot bubbatised into "truck Guns"; getting uncommon in full original rigout.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your rifle marked with the Full FN addy on left siderail? Then it is a M1950 FN Comombian contract, made new in .30/06.(up to five digit serial number)
If your rifle has a "F.xxxxx" Serial Number, has NO addy on left side (or a complete "Steyr Solothurn" addy,) AND has a "R.FAMAGE 1952" mark on the right side of the receiver ring,
then it is a Colombian 1930s Mauser rebuild from 7mm to .30/06 ( ex Steyr M1912, Steyr M29, FN M30,CZ Vz24). Also marked ".30" on rear bridge.

Nice rifles; sadly a lot bubbatised into "truck Guns"; getting uncommon in full original rigout.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.
Thanks Bob and DocAV,
Yes, it has the full FN addy (Herstal-Belgique) and a 5 digit serial but, it starts with a zero.
And sadly, Bubba got to this one too. But he just chopped, stained and varnished the stock and installed a rubber butt pad. And he may have painted the barrel too. The finish has been scraped off in places. He didn't chop the barrel, though. And, of course, the bands, handguard, cleaning rod, etc are gone too. But, considering the price, she can now join the other Spawn of Bubba who've found a home here. A Springfield 03, 4 T-99's, a No4 Mk1, an M95M Steyr, a MN M44, and a 1917 Sesty M91. They seem to be happy, though, since they all shoot great (the Steyr has the lightest trigger I've ever found on a milsurp, about 2 lbs.). Since the pawn shops are having a difficult time selling the Bubba jobs, the prices have dropped amazingly low. Because of that, this bunch will soon be joined by an Eddystone, a Remington 03, and a Rock Island 03.
Thanks again for your help,
Jack

·
Gold Bullet member
4,792 Posts
... she can now join the other Spawn of Bubba who've found a home here. A Springfield 03, 4 T-99's, a No4 Mk1, an M95M Steyr, a MN M44, and a 1917 Sesty M91...... Jack
Sounds like the "island of misfit toys" :eek::D;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts