Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Good Cleaned condition without scabbard.

I know it is subjective, but a range would be helpful. Can't find a comparable by searching. :confused:

Thanks!
- Mike

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure I know exactly which Belgian variation you are referring to??? For the M89 or one of the earlier Belgian rifles or musketoons?

Which of the following bayonets matches the example you are referencing???

Or does it not match any of these???

Warmest regards,

John

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John -

Yes, it would have helped if I made that clear. :eek: The '89 Artillery model. Top one in photos no. 1 & 2 of your post. I'm thinking they are the same?

And of course it goes without saying..., a Beautiful selection of Belgian blades!

Best regards!
- Mike

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Hi Mike,

That's NOT an Artillery bayonet. That is the Mle 1889 "Yataghan" bayonet for the Mle 1889 "lightened" carbines. Yes, the blade is not shaped in what we would typically refer to as a yataghan blade, however you can't hold me responsible for Belgian 19th Century terminology!

I was extremely lucky to have spent a lot of time working in Belgium on and off beginning in the mid 70s. Over the years I spent lots of weekends driving around Belgium to each of the wonderful militaria shows, during which time I acquired nine of the Mle 1889 "Yataghan" bayonets, seven of them with scabbards.

It's been at least 15 years since I acquired my last example. Were I to take a serious WAG regarding a fair price for one of these interesting bayonets today, without scabbard, I would guess anywhere from $900 to $1100 depending of course on condition.

Best of luck Mike! Grab it if you can as I have never personally seen one for sale outside of Belgium.

Hope this helps???

Warmest regards,

John

PS - We won't hate you unnecessarily until you actually acquire this rare variation of the Mle 1889 Belgian bayonet. ;>)

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, so just to be sure, it is the same as this one?

Apologies for the photo, but the sun has not been seen here for weeks. I picked this one up the other day. In untouched and very nice condition. Shows some signs of a 'black paint like(?)' finish on the blade. Think I've seen it before on other post-war refurbished Belgian rifles/carbines.

I have another in a box somewhere that has been polished bright. Paid a bit over $100 for this one and don't recall on the other. If it's the same, I can't really say where I got the 'Artillery' designation. Or, am I way off base?

Oh...., for some sun and warm weather. A few flurries tomorrow.... :barf: Will try for some better pics tomorrow, maybe in the barn where the light is better. That's pretty sad.

Best regards!
- Mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,477 Posts
OK......It's safe to say now........$100????.........I HATE YOU~!!!!!

PS - Flurries of what?......It was 96F here today!

And just so you know.......I HATE YOU enough to know that I don't want to know what you paid for the other one. Another "little Old Lady" taken advantage of. You should be ashamed of yourself!

PPS - Nothing to do with Artillery specifically, but some field arty units may have been issued the Engineer's carbine, i.e. the top carbine in the photo above. The extra long blade was intended to make up the difference in reach with the very short "lightened" carbines.

PPPS - Even 20 years ago I would have been jumping up and down had I acquired one of these for $100!!!

:barf:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.