Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired my first Japanese service rifle, a Type 44 Calvary Carbine. Here's a description:

SN# 61xxx Kokura Arsenal Marking
Rear Sight 49
Bolt Release Latch 537
No action cover.
Trigger Housing, bolt and bayonet housing numbers match SN.
The bayonet Housing is 2nd Generation and is missing the "stacking rod". (I'm not sure of the terminology, but you all probably know what I'm talking about. If it was removed, it was done some time ago, as the patina on the pin matches the rest of the rifle.)
The front sight gaurd in angled
Three drain holes in the stock
Safety has small tang and the striker is variation B.
The rifle came equipped with the original muzzle cover which is in excellent condition. All of the springs are intact and it fiunctions perfectly. The only marking I can locate on it is what appears to be a number "4" on the inside of the muzzle cap.

Overall the rifle is in very good condition. I would rate the metal finish at about 85% and the stock is also in good shape. I can't find any markings on the stock.

Any information about the rifle and it's value would be greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,

- Jamie

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morning Jamie :

What you have is a rebuilt / recycled / restored / repaired Kokura T-44 with a later production stock. The original stock had no drain holes in the forend.
Somewhere along the line the stacking hook was removed.
Originally all internal parts were marked with the last 3 digits of the serial number which you say is in the 61000 range.
You do not mention if the mum has been "defaced" or not. As to value it depends on condition, pictures would give more to work with, mum or ground, repaired, whacked off hook, ???, 1 to 2K would seem possible.
Vicasoto

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Perhaps you could share what you paid for it, that way we can tell you how well you did or did not do on it.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,363 Posts
My guess for the rig would be 700 for the rifle and 500 for the cover. The hook being whacked off kills the value IMO, it can't really be replaced.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Actually the hook can be replaced. Don Schlickman makes a two piece (blind screw) replacement that can't be discerned from the original.

As to the carbine value, any guess without good pictures is just that; but $500 for the cover is 'normal', whatever that is.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,363 Posts
If the hook is replaced with a repop, in my book it ain't worth much. It would just to make you feel better about the rifle but your just fooling the folks down the road. Next thing you know these blind screw hooks will be "field replacement" parts design by the ordnance board in 1942 to repair the aging carbines in china. I think paying what you did for the rig you came out well ahead mostly because of the muzzle cover, very desirable.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Mike,
Philosophical debate on restore/repair goes on forever: you said it couldn't be done, I was just pointing out that it can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts