Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Have most of the recent Chinese SKS imports come with blade bayonets? Any found with side stock sling swivels? Thank you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A lot of the new imports have the early side mounted sling and one ive seen has both with the old empty spot and newer bottom position.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All that I have seen had the blade bayonets intact. Also whenever you get a side mounted sling swivel. It means the stock was replaced with an Albanian stock. All early factory /26\ SKS's had the Russian style bottom sling swivels originally. You can also check all the serial #'s on the rifle's parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried to post pics of mine in the numbers sticky but it wasn't approved for some reason. The two individual pic are of the sks on the bottom in the top pic. It appears to be an albanian stock with dual inlet buttplate, yes I've had the buttplate off and there are two holes present in the stock, stock isn't numbered. The top rifle in the first pic appears to be a cut down albanian stock. It has a cut at front stock ferrule that isn't anywhere near a perfect fit, stock isn't numbered. Stock on middle rifle is numbers matching to the rest of the rifle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd post pics of mine but mods haven't approved any of them yet in this and another thread. Have one with side sling swivel and dual inlet buttstock and buttplate. Two are bottom sling mount.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,531 Posts
Yeep, There are a lot out there, here is one from Turners, out in the west coast.
Chinese SKS – Just Arrived! Hardwood Stock, Fixed 10 Rd Magazine, Blade Bayonet, 7.62x39, Good Condition.
VPC# RI118-G Now Only $259.98! http://[email protected]

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's what I heard. These are from a conflict in Albania. They were supplied as aid. They may have even been used in Vietnam at one time as well. The age of these makes it feasible. Don't know....

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,360 Posts
That's what I heard. These are from a conflict in Albania. They were supplied as aid. They may have even been used in Vietnam at one time as well. The age of these makes it feasible. Don't know....
Any background to that Vietnam statement? Not knocking you but that is how internet legends are born. The "could have" or "might have been" statements in one sentence. Asking for more backgrpund or proof in markings, grafitti, documented aid from VN to Albania etc.
On the surface Albania was a Chinese ally., Vietnam was a Chinese enemy by 1975 and at war by 1978.. Liklihood of aid or alliance = slim. This not being proof but verifiable truth.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Many of these have writing in the stock with Albanian names, towns, and dates from the early 1990's (rules out Vietam). Also similar crappy external condition T53 Mosins, probably also Chinese aid, and a new wave of Albanian SKS have come in.

Albania sort of had a civil war in the 1990's. They had this thing in 1997 where basically the whole country fell apart, and gangs took over a large part of it. So some arms could've gone to gangs (probably never would be imported) and some arms were issued to people to defend themselves. I admit I should know more about this rebellion thing that happened. Some arms ended up with the Kosovo Liberation Army after this.

The amount of names and dates on some of them suggest the rifles were passed around, and probably in militia or forced military service. I haven't seen any nationalist writings, like from Croatia/Serbia/Bosnia, to suggest any saw actual conflict with clear ideals like the KLA or these random gangs.

If any of these possibly came from the Kosovo Liberation Army, I would expect nationalist writings. But also we must remember the KLA was disarmed by NATO forces after the conflict. Maybe some arms sneaked out, but not many for sure, and surely not to be later imported.

Well, time to learn some more about 1997.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Any background to that Vietnam statement? Not knocking you but that is how internet legends are born. The "could have" or "might have been" statements in one sentence. Asking for more backgrpund or proof in markings, grafitti, documented aid from VN to Albania etc.
On the surface Albania was a Chinese ally., Vietnam was a Chinese enemy by 1975 and at war by 1978.. Liklihood of aid or alliance = slim. This not being proof but verifiable truth.
I remember when that was first floated while we were putting the Albanian theory together. The OP said a rep at J&G told him they came from Vietnam. We have established any Vietnam connection as being very thin on facts and only the one J&G rep is said to have stated that. Century has been hush hush, but the physical evidence suggest that these were recently in Albania. The number of poor quality replacement stocks and non-standard parts would imply that they were there at least after the fall of the communist regime and probably gained a lot of their noted "character" from the late 1990s conflict where people would have repaired them as best they could. Afterall AIM had a vast supply of Albanian spare parts early in the game and those presumably would have been available to any government armorer conducting repairs for the government. In the meantime they have come in with all manner of Albanian carvings and components. Oddly, most of the all matching gun with the original Chinese stocks are devoid of carvings so it might be fair to think that those remained in the hands of the regular military or a government organization (although that is only a theory). They certainly werent carved up and broken under Hoxha... destruction of the Peoples Property would have been a no-no under that regime.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well, time to learn some more about 1997.
IIRC there was a ponzi type scheme that bankrupted a lot (huge numbers) of Albanians, this was largely because they had little understanding of the free market following 50 years of hardline communism, the people rioted, then troops defected and the country fell apart, most of the armouries were looted and anarchy ensued

a lot better now but not somewhere I would take a vacation

regrds

Richard

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an all matching chinese SKS Century import (1959) and it was carved all over. Exception to the rule?
Carvings include a 1993 date and mention of a UNCAMP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts